2210 U-Joint

/ 2210 U-Joint #1  

cford36

Gold Member
Tractor
LS3135HC
Has anyone had to the u-joint between the transmission and engine fail on your 2210? I have 488 hours and the mechanic said that this is starting to be a common problem. About $600 fix since they have to tear the machine apart to get to it. Apparently this has been changed on the 2305 where you can service the u-joint. He said there is a fitting to service the 2210 but it is impossible to get to, so basically its unserviceable.

Was thinking of going to John Deere if I can find out if this is a design flaw.

Any ideas?

/ 2210 U-Joint #2  
Do you actually mean U-joint, or is it really the flex coupling? This is the same powertrain layout as my F935. I changed out the drive shaft and failed coupling in about 15 minutes. Coupling part from eBay. Yes, it appears to be a common failure. The cause is probably misalignment of the engine crankline and the transmission input shaft. This puts excess stress on the flex coupling.

You'll have to take the mower deck off, jack it up and crawl around on your back, but 1 13mm wrench is all you needed in my case (actually 2: a box and an open end). Separate the coupling and the 2 piece shaft comes out next after loosening the bolts.

BTW Welcome fellow Buffalonian (I was born and raised on the South Side off McKinley Pkwy, but I'm now here in Michigan north of Ann Arbor).

Last edited:
   / 2210 U-Joint
Well, the mechanic said u-joint. He said due to the design of the 2210 he said it's a nightmare to get out. Have to tear the tractor apart to get to it. Sounds like the problem replacing the hydro cooling fan on the 2210, I have heard up to $500 to replace a plastic fan blade due to the time to get to it.

Yea, need it back before it starts to snow.........flurries tonight.

/ 2210 U-Joint #4  
I grease mine every 100 hours or so. It takes about 2.5 hours to do but no problems so far. I actually just did them the other day. The front one is fairly easy but the rear one isn't. You can get to the rear one from under the tractor but can't tell if your getting enough grease in it because you need a needle fitting to get on it.

/ 2210 U-Joint
I grease mine every 100 hours or so. It takes about 2.5 hours to do but no problems so far. I actually just did them the other day. The front one is fairly easy but the rear one isn't. You can get to the rear one from under the tractor but can't tell if your getting enough grease in it because you need a needle fitting to get on it.

This is on a 2210? I don't have it back yet to see where it is. The mechanic was telling me there is a fitting but you can't get to it because of the frame being in the way.

/ 2210 U-Joint
This thread may be of interest to you: JD 2210 Tractor Vibration - TractorByNet.com

Thanks for the link. That is it exactly. I guess I am doing all right since my dealer only quoted me $600 (includes another minor repair) when he was quoted $2200.

Going to have to start looking for the grease fittings on this now. Like he said wasn't even aware of them since it's not in the manual. That probably is because Deere has them as unserviceable.

Seems 400 to 500 hours is the limit on the u-joints if your are not greasing them. Like to find out if this is becoming a common problem like my mechanic said. Don't like the thought of doing this every 500 hours!

/ 2210 U-Joint #8  
yes mine is a 2210. i've had it for 7 years now. Actually 7 years on the 23rd. The rear fitting is a bear to get to. i prefer to take the floor pan off so I make sure I get a good shot of grease in the joint.

/ 2210 U-Joint #9  
I remember reading about this a while ago, so I looked but could not find a grease fitting on the U-joint. Is this on all 2210's & if so, where is it?

/ 2210 U-Joint #10  
Curious as to what the symptoms were that made you take it into the dealer ?