3320 Tilt Cylinder

/ 3320 Tilt Cylinder #1  

MikeyB

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3320
I will soon have (hopefully) two hydraulic outputs on the rear of my 3320.
I already have a top link cylinder that I bought for a song from my local dealer when another customer bought the entire top-n-tilt kit and only wanted the tilt cylinder.

After looking at JD parts I was pretty astonished at the price they wanted just for the tilt cylinder $450, and another $105 for the clevis that goes from the lower 3 pt arm to the cylinder rod. I will be pricing the entire kit from the dealer. Sometimes it seems the kit is way cheaper than buying parts piecemeal.

My question is has anyone figured out a different cylinder that will work for the tilt? It looks pretty specialized having a spherical eye mount at the top and looks like a keyed shaft at the bottom with a set screw for the clevis.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• MP35388________UN25OCT04.gif
    MP35388________UN25OCT04.gif
    28.3 KB · Views: 372
   / 3320 Tilt Cylinder #2  
CCM will make you one with a DPOCV for $250. Give them a call. Do a search on "ccm" and "dpocv" for lots of reading;)

/ 3320 Tilt Cylinder #3  
I have a question for you. Do you think that the slot in the clevis is needed? :confused: I don't see why you would even want that. Can you or anyone else that has a John Deere elaborate on this and what it accomplishes?

Like Kennyd said, you can get a custom Hydraulic side link for $250, but I don't know if it will have that slot or if you even want or need that slot. My thinking is that you would not want the slot that the OEM clevis has.

/ 3320 Tilt Cylinder
I have a question for you. Do you think that the slot in the clevis is needed? :confused: I don't see why you would even want that. Can you or anyone else that has a John Deere elaborate on this and what it accomplishes?

Like Kennyd said, you can get a custom Hydraulic side link for $250, but I don't know if it will have that slot or if you even want or need that slot. My thinking is that you would not want the slot that the OEM clevis has.

Haven't looked at my hitch in a while. Too lazy to walk out to the shop right now.. But IIRC the clevis on there at present is angled. That is my main worry. I'll have to take a look at it tomorrow. The slot might be helpful in the overdoing it department which I am prone to do. I can only think it provides a little relief if you try to give it too much down pressure. Don't know for sure.:confused3:

Mike

/ 3320 Tilt Cylinder #5  
Haven't looked at my hitch in a while. Too lazy to walk out to the shop right now.. But IIRC the clevis on there at present is angled. That is my main worry. I'll have to take a look at it tomorrow. The slot might be helpful in the overdoing it department which I am prone to do. I can only think it provides a little relief if you try to give it too much down pressure. Don't know for sure.

Mike

Even with a hydraulic side link, you still will not have any down pressure. You only get to adjust the tilt of your implement, the implement still only has the weight of the hitch and implement for any cutting ability.

Maybe tomorrow you can check out that clevis and be sure of how much of an angle it is. For some reason I was thinking that it is not much if any at all. :confused3:

/ 3320 Tilt Cylinder #6  
On my 3320 the side link has a swivel eye on the top end and a straight clevis on the lower end. When I made my hydraulic side link I cut the ends off of an appropriate hydraulic cylinder, welded the swivel eye off of a generic top link to one end and fabricated a clevis and welded it to the other end. No slot, just a hole. The slot is designed to allow the implement to float a bit by allowing an angle change rather than lifting the entire device when a slight rise on one side is encountered.

/ 3320 Tilt Cylinder
On my 3320 the side link has a swivel eye on the top end and a straight clevis on the lower end. When I made my hydraulic side link I cut the ends off of an appropriate hydraulic cylinder, welded the swivel eye off of a generic top link to one end and fabricated a clevis and welded it to the other end. No slot, just a hole. The slot is designed to allow the implement to float a bit by allowing an angle change rather than lifting the entire device when a slight rise on one side is encountered.

Thanks Cocre,

Do you have a check valve installed on the cylinder or just called it good
with the hydraulic pressure holding the cylinder in position? It looks like whatever I do, the cylinder will need some customization to work since it has
different end attachments.

Thanks again,
Mike

/ 3320 Tilt Cylinder #8  
Thanks Cocre,

Do you have a check valve installed on the cylinder or just called it good
with the hydraulic pressure holding the cylinder in position? It looks like whatever I do, the cylinder will need some customization to work since it has
different end attachments.

Thanks again,
Mike

I installed a flow control valve in one of the lines going to the tilt cylinder. I use it to slow down the operation of the cylinder or to lock it in place.

/ 3320 Tilt Cylinder #9  
I installed a flow control valve in one of the lines going to the tilt cylinder. I use it to slow down the operation of the cylinder or to lock it in place.

He means the DPOCV that CCM has on their cylinders.

/ 3320 Tilt Cylinder #10  
He means the DPOCV that CCM has on their cylinders.

Yeah, I understood that, but his question to me concerned holding the cylinder in position so I responded as to how I accomplished that.

I installed the flow control valve to control the maximum ram speed, but I also use it to lock the cylinder in place similar to the DPOCV. It's not automatic, it's not located at the cylinder, and it's not a DPOCV, but it locks the cylinder solid. On my setup it is easy to get to and operate, and the additional function cost no more since zero flow is part of the range of this particular control valve. It is probably no more than an eight of a turn from where I like the flow to dead locked.

In the end I can't say that I saved a bunch of money making my own tilt cylinder, but I had fun doing it and that counts for a lot to me.