Electric Question?

/ Electric Question? #1  

caseyvand

Bronze Member
Hi......My alternator is 12 volt 20 amp. If I draw (300 watts).....which is more than my alternator generates can I damage my alternator or just dicharge my battery?
Thanks......Casey

/ Electric Question? #2  
Hi......My alternator is 12 volt 20 amp. If I draw (300 watts).....which is more than my alternator generates can I damage my alternator or just dicharge my battery?
Thanks......Casey

It would depend on the duration cycle and off/on time. A starter draws alot of power but only for a short period of time as an example. You really haven't supplied much information needed to get good advice.

/ Electric Question? #3  
For sure discharge the battery but the alternator runs a high risk of damage as well as it will always be maxed out.

Ideal power management is about 80% of rated output.

Do don't say what machine this is on nor reason for higher requirement.

Some options could be to use LED lighting rather than incandescent bulbs, also halogens draw a lot as well.

/ Electric Question? #4  
For sure discharge the battery but the alternator runs a high risk of damage as well as it will always be maxed out.

Ideal power management is about 80% of rated output.

Do don't say what machine this is on nor reason for higher requirement.

Some options could be to use LED lighting rather than incandescent bulbs, also halogens draw a lot as well.

This is a perfect example of what I referred to, it is impossible to offer much advice if we don't have enough particulars.:D

/ Electric Question?
Hi...OK I see what you mean as far as info goes......What I'm trying to do is run an electric 12 volt 300 watt heater in the cab of my JD 455. I just need enough heat to keep the windshield warm so the snow does not stick on it. With the information that you have provided it is probably better to work with a seperate battery. I do know that there are heaters that are plumbed into the cooling system but I was trying to avoid that because of the way the front windshield has to swing up to open the hood. I generally do not blow snow for more than 45 min.
Thanks.....Casey

/ Electric Question? #6  
My X749 has a 40 amp alternator on it, was wondering if this would fit a 455? Might be an alternative to another battery.

/ Electric Question? #7  
I am curious if this 300 w heater is going to provide enough heat anyway. This is only about 1020 btu's output. I did some research over the weekend and found a small fan coil type heater that could mount in the cab for about $200. Much more heat available with the water and coil unit.

About the alternator, it seems most of the new models hook directly to the battery without an external voltage regulator. Haven't looked at my mower to know this as fact though.