Finally....an answer to the 2520 starting issue

/ Finally....an answer to the 2520 starting issue #1  

revitupfaster

Silver Member
Tractor
JD X495 & JD2520
I thought I would start a new thread on this because people are probably tired of the old thread and may not see this, which I think is pretty important. Since there seemed to be a lot of confusion about this, I called my dealer, and at first he wasn't really sure, but luckily they had a new 2520 in stock awaiting delivery, so he went and checked. He called back and explained about a light on upper right side of the dash which I said was not shown or explained in my Operators Manual.

The manual for my tractor shows a picture of the dash, with the indicator lights labeled as to their function. The problem is, the manual does not show an indicator light which in fact is actually there.

The top light on the right side is the PTO engaged indicator, and in reality, there is a light under this, which is the "Pre-heat" indicator. This is apparently connected to a sensor, which determines how long the pre-heat function should run, depending upon the ambient temperature before actually starting the machine. The manual says absolutely nothing about this, and says nothing about waiting for it to go off before starting the machine.

I read the manual, thinking it was the "Bible" on the machine, so I never even realized the light was there. How many would take their operators manual to the machine to double check that it was correct?

Anyway, the starting procedure is to turn the ignition to the "on" position, and wait for that pre-heat lamp to go out, then fire away.

I told my dealer that the Operators manual says absolutely nothing about the pre-heat light nor that one should wait for it to go out before starting. He was quite surprised about this not being explained in the manual and is going to make sure he explains it to the owner of that new one he has in stock.

Apparently the starting procedures for the 2520 & 2720 are identical, however, the 2720 manual does show that pre-heat light although it is referred to as a "Glow Plug" light, when in fact it's this air pre-heater thing. The 2720 also says for cold weather starting to turn the ignition to "on" and wait 15 seconds before starting. Probably the amount of time for the light to go out.

All in all, the operators manual for the 2520 "sucks". JD should get their act together on this......it can't be that hard to get things like this right in the operators manual.

Sorry for the length, but I thought this would be important, especially to the 2520 owners, we're probably all in the same boat.

REV

/ Finally....an answer to the 2520 starting issue #2  
Just my opinion, but for "continuity" and "resolution" it should have been added to the original thread: Starting a 2520

Thanks for posting the details:thumbsup:

/ Finally....an answer to the 2520 starting issue #3  
Thanks for the info REV
Anyway, the starting procedure is to turn the ignition to the "on" position, and wait for that pre-heat lamp to go out, then fire away.

My dealer explained this to me.

You're right,the manual sucks.

Greg

/ Finally....an answer to the 2520 starting issue #4  
So does our older 2520 actually have the light that "Should" be coming on when we cycle the key? Or is there really no light? Just wondering if we can hook it up, or just live without it. :cool:

Thanks for the info.

/ Finally....an answer to the 2520 starting issue #5  
Apparently the starting procedures for the 2520 & 2720 are identical, however, the 2720 manual does show that pre-heat light although it is referred to as a "Glow Plug" light, when in fact it's this air pre-heater thing.
REV

Just curious, but could you look at your engine to see if it really has the air heater instead of glow plugs. You can either just look at the engine if you know what to look for (best way and help can be provided, not hard), or check the engine tag per previous thread info.

/ Finally....an answer to the 2520 starting issue #6  
Kenny - thanks for including the link to original post

/ Finally....an answer to the 2520 starting issue #7  
I would ask the dealer if the new machine has an updated manual. JD is constantly updating manuals, maybe they have not caught up with current production.

I wanted the JD manual for my 640 Loader and bought 3 before I got the one current to my Loader.

/ Finally....an answer to the 2520 starting issue
not exactly a new "mystery" for the 2520.

discussed back in March of 2008.
my 2520 was new then.
Apparently the same manual.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/117540-2520-questions.html

Anything else new ? :D

I wouldn't know a glow plug if I fell over it, so for me to look at the engine wouldn't help, but I do have a friend that would know, so I'll have him look the next time he's around.

I really don't think it does have actual glow plugs, but rather that "Pre-Heater" thing. When I talked to my dealer, and generally he pretty much knows his stuff, he said the 2305/2320 do have actual glowplugs, but the 2520 & 2720, both have the preheater system. (he said the pre-heat system actually works better than glow plugs - I would have no idea if this is true or not)

After reading the previous thread which also discusses this issue, and was just as confusing as this one, it sure sounds to me that the "Pre-heat" light is something that has been added to the 2520 on the newer models, because some folks are pretty adamant that they do not have this light. By the way, that thread was long before I was even considering a new tractor, so I had not seen it til now.

On my original thread, "JD755" posted a picture of the 2520 dash alongside the 2720 dash. The 2720 dash does show the light and describes it as a "Glowplug" indicator, where in fact I think it should have been described as the "Pre-Heat" indicator. Whatever, they both do basically the same thing, provide a starting aid.

My guess is that the early 2520's did not have the light, as the manual indicates, but it was added somewhere along the line, (probably about the time the 2720 series was added) but the 2520 manuals were never updated. I would also think that the early 2520's do have the air pre-heat system and everything works the same, just that they dont have the indicator. In other words, turn the key to on and wait 10 secs before starting the thing.

That's my story, and I'm stikin' to it.

By the way Kenny thanks for linking this to the original post. I just thought that most folks would have been pretty fed up with reading about this issue, and maybe not bothered to stick with the original thread. I felt this information may help clarify things for some other 2520 owners, and they should read it.

REV

/ Finally....an answer to the 2520 starting issue #10  
I can only go by what the John Deere Parts system shows. The drawings and parts lists show some 2520 have the air heater and some have the glow plugs. They also show all 2720 have glow plugs, and none of them have air heaters. I tend to trust the parts documentation over well meaning salesmen. :)