Snow replacing sprockets and chain

/ replacing sprockets and chain #11  
Here is the other side. Is the chain hidden in there? There may be different 47" snowblowers. I found the same pic as you show in jdparts. Not sure how, but found it. :)

Sorry beenthere, I should've been more specific. I met on the back of the blower.:thumbsup:

/ replacing sprockets and chain #12  
I tried to paste the picture, doesn't work. KENNY HELLLLLP

John Deere - Parts Catalog
Printer Friendly Page

Close Window

Catalog: 1926 | Grid: 2D7 | Section: 62 | Page: 4
Catalog Name: 47-Inch 2-Stage Snow Blower
Page Name: FRONT DRIVE
Direction of Travel:

You can't copy&paste...I right click the image, then save it to my desktop (so I can find it easliy), then attach the save image to the post;)

Attachments

• 47 blower.gif
    47 blower.gif
    17 KB · Views: 386
   / replacing sprockets and chain #13  
Few pictures.

From what I see, the key way slot in that sprocket is mangled and it needs replacing.
Shame as the teeth look OK.
Again you should be able to get a replacement sprocket from an industrial shop such as General Bearing in Canada (GBS).
Also Princess Auto carries replacements in their catalogue.

There should be an allen screw that locks the key in place and that screw was probably never correctly tightened. (use loctite or double screw)

/ replacing sprockets and chain
Thanks for all the replies. That's the blower. Wish it was a direct drive off the PTO. I'm going to work on it today. Hopefully it won't take all day - it's 12 degrees here and it's pretty much bare hands work.

/ replacing sprockets and chain #15  
My JD 47 inch blower has that exact same WOBBLE. I tried to tighten the chain last night, but as you rotate it, the slack changes. The owners manual says to tighten chain, and then rotate the auger to make sure there are NO TIGHT SPOTS. So, JD must know the auger wobbles! :confused2:

Is this movement normal, or do you guys think I have a problem? My blower maybe has 3-5 hrs on it!
Thanks

/ replacing sprockets and chain #16  
PILOON said:
You need to locate the monkey link, or coupler, then slip off the little clips (some use small cotter pins).
Close examination of your chain will show you that one link is different from all the others and that may be on either side of the chain. That will be the monkey link!

Take the old chain to an industrial bearing supplier and have the match the chain.

Generally your sprockets should still be OK as it is the chain that streatches, unless the sprocket teeth are worn down to short pointy saw like teeth.
If you still have flats at ends rather than pointy teeth you should be OK.

Good luck, have fun.

Lol. Never heard it called a monkey link.

/ replacing sprockets and chain #17  
For every other chain/sprocket application I am familiar with, they should be replaced as a set.

/ replacing sprockets and chain
Well, I got the big sprocket off and the unit that holds the little sprocket out. Got the chain off. Now I want to get the PTO shaft (the shortie that attaches to the sprocket shaft) off but it's got a rolled pin holding it on. Never dealt with one before. Anyone know how I get that pin out?

/ replacing sprockets and chain #19  
Simply drive it out with a hammer and punch. Be careful to use the correct diameter punch. You don't want your punch to go inside the pin and swedge it out.

/ replacing sprockets and chain #20  
Sorry bellygunner, have the feeling that I stole your tread.:eek: There is some confusion probably cause by me, so I will try to clarified it with a french accent.;)

PILOON
From what I see, the key way slot in that sprocket is mangled and it needs replacing.
Shame as the teeth look OK.
Again you should be able to get a replacement sprocket from an industrial shop such as General Bearing in Canada (GBS).
Also Princess Auto carries replacements in their catalogue.

There should be an allen screw that locks the key in place and that screw was probably never correctly tightened. (use loctite or double screw)
PILOON, I have place these picture to help identified the parts and location for Beenthere and maybe help bellygunner at the same time. The pic. you see were taken last year. If you look closely in the second picture, you can see a broken lock collar. I had it fix last year on the warranty. They said it was cause by a bend sprocket shaft. They replace the shaft but now I notice that the larger sprocket is wobbling, so they want to have a look at it and determent if it was not damage last year by the old sprocket shaft.

Deadman
Re: replacing sprockets and chain
My JD 47 inch blower has that exact same WOBBLE. I tried to tighten the chain last night, but as you rotate it, the slack changes. The owners manual says to tighten chain, and then rotate the auger to make sure there are NO TIGHT SPOTS. So, JD must know the auger wobbles!

Is this movement normal, or do you guys think I have a problem? My blower maybe has 3-5 hrs on it!
Thanks
Deadman, hopefully, I will have an answer for you tomorrow. Going to my dealer with the parts and will see what they say.

kennyd
You can't copy&paste...I right click the image, then save it to my desktop (so I can find it easliy), then attach the save image to the po
Thanks Kenny. I knew you would rise up to the challenge once again.:thumbsup:

Bellygunner, keep us up to date and put some pic. if you can. Good luck.:) Henri