Snow replacing sprockets and chain

/ replacing sprockets and chain #1  

bellygunner

Tractor
John Deere 2320
Anyone know how to replace the sprockets and chain for the front mounted 47" snow blower. It's on my John Deere 2320.

/ replacing sprockets and chain #2  
You need to locate the monkey link, or coupler, then slip off the little clips (some use small cotter pins).
Close examination of your chain will show you that one link is different from all the others and that may be on either side of the chain. That will be the monkey link!

Take the old chain to an industrial bearing supplier and have the match the chain.

Generally your sprockets should still be OK as it is the chain that streatches, unless the sprocket teeth are worn down to short pointy saw like teeth.
If you still have flats at ends rather than pointy teeth you should be OK.

Good luck, have fun.

/ replacing sprockets and chain #3  
Anyone know how to replace the sprockets and chain for the front mounted 47" snow blower. It's on my John Deere 2320.

Have you already picked up the new chain and sprockets?
Some pics will help guide you through the change, and PILOON had a good description of the chain removal.

I looked in jdparts and didn't find any chain drive on the 47" blowers for the 2320. Is the chain driving the auger?

/ replacing sprockets and chain
Thanks to you both for your reply. The chain drives both the auger and fan. I'm having problems getting the chain off the unit. The small sprocket (the one driven by the PTO shaft) is located or sandwiched between 2 metal plates that form one unit. I can't get that thing out of the back of the blower. I can get it to turn but it won't pull out. If I can get that thing out then I can slip the chain over the big sprocket. Then I'll have to figure out how to get the two plates apart so the chain will come off and so I can put a new one on. I haven't purchased a new chain yet.

/ replacing sprockets and chain #5  
Have you already picked up the new chain and sprockets?
Some pics will help guide you through the change, and PILOON had a good description of the chain removal.

I looked in jdparts and didn't find any chain drive on the 47" blowers for the 2320. Is the chain driving the auger?

It drives the blower fan and the gear drive. The small sprocket shaft which is connect to the pto drive, is link by a drive chain to a bigger sprocket 40 teeth that is attach to the gear drive shaft.:confused2: I have just taken mine apart. While trying to adjust the chain I notice that the big sprocket was wobbling from side to side which makes it impossible to adjust the chain. It goes from tight to very loose. Call my dealer and he will try to give me one on the warranty. I manage to remove the chain by getting the chain as loose as possible using the adjustment and passing it over the sprocket fairly easy. As for the sprocket, you have to loosen both set screw on the sprocket, put some loose nut on the shaft and pull it out. You may have to play with it to get it loose, but once she start sliding on the shaft, it should come out.:thumbsup:

I tried to paste the picture, doesn't work. KENNY HELLLLLP

John Deere - Parts Catalog
Printer Friendly Page

Close Window

Catalog: 1926 | Grid: 2D7 | Section: 62 | Page: 4
Catalog Name: 47-Inch 2-Stage Snow Blower
Page Name: FRONT DRIVE
Direction of Travel:

/ replacing sprockets and chain #6  
Thanks to you both for your reply. The chain drives both the auger and fan. I'm having problems getting the chain off the unit. The small sprocket (the one driven by the PTO shaft) is located or sandwiched between 2 metal plates that form one unit. I can't get that thing out of the back of the blower. I can get it to turn but it won't pull out. If I can get that thing out then I can slip the chain over the big sprocket. Then I'll have to figure out how to get the two plates apart so the chain will come off and so I can put a new one on. I haven't purchased a new chain yet.

Bellygunner, is it the big sprocket you want to change or the smaller shaft sprocket?

/ replacing sprockets and chain #7  
Ok.
Can you find it in jdparts?

Here is the 47" snowblower I sold last summer. No chain drive. Will be interested in seeing pics of yours. edit....yes, there is a chain drive. Duh! Sorry, just took awhile.

Attachments

• 100_1384 (Medium).JPG
    100_1384 (Medium).JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 601
  • 100_1387 (Medium).JPG
    100_1387 (Medium).JPG
    34 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
   / replacing sprockets and chain #8  
Ok.

Here is the 47" snowblower I sold last summer. No chain drive. Will be interested in seeing pics of yours.

Chain is on the other side.:D

/ replacing sprockets and chain #9  
Ok.

Here is the 47" snowblower I sold last summer. No chain drive. Will be interested in seeing pics of yours.

Few pictures.

Attachments

• DSCF5192.jpg
    DSCF5192.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 1,672
  • DSCF5191.jpg
    DSCF5191.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 2,715
  • DSCF5199.jpg
    DSCF5199.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 1,559
   / replacing sprockets and chain #10  
Chain is on the other side.:D

Here is the other side. Is the chain hidden in there? There may be different 47" snowblowers. I found the same pic as you show in jdparts. Not sure how, but found it. :)

edit: yes, I found the chain drive and see where it is "hidden".
Good luck with the repair. That locking collar can be "some fun" and it is used by JD several places. Sorry for adding confusion to this. :(

Attachments

• 100_1384 (Medium).JPG
    100_1384 (Medium).JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 310
Last edited: