Slime vs other sealants

/ Slime vs other sealants #1  

usmc5595

Bronze Member
Is slime as good as other liquid sealants that you can buy at tractor tire shops?

I am buy a new tire and I am going to have 3 gallons put into the tire. The shop uses a blue (slime like sealant) that costs $38 a gallon:mad:

I can buy slime for $30.00 a gallon and do it my self. This is for the rear tractor tires 13.6-28. The previous tire had the same blue sealant in it and had trouble sealing a 16 penny nail hole in the tire.

Just wondering if slime is as good as the rest. I have heard that it will get dry and rust out over time is this true?

The tire guy stated that the add a gallon evey year to prevent dry out of the "blue sealant".

/ Slime vs other sealants #2  
I use super seal formula 100. Its $32 a gal and has worked pretty good for me. I use it in my 4wheeler tires also and do alot of hunting in west Tx where there is only catus and thorns and have not had a flat in the past 4 years

/ Slime vs other sealants #3  
Just check into whatever brand you use, some are corrosive! Don't know what brand had been used in my JD 420 garden tractor front tire, but it had eaten a hole in the rim. ~~ grnspot110

Attachments

• GARDEN TRACTORS 455 (Small).jpg
    GARDEN TRACTORS 455 (Small).jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 289
   / Slime vs other sealants #4  
My experience is that the sealants, a fibrous liquid mixture that seals by forming a filter cake over a hole, work great at first, but wear out over time as the fibers slowly break up. After a few hundred miles the tires on low speed equipment start going flat again if you leave them parked with the hole up. Adding more sealant "fixes" it for awhile.
larry

/ Slime vs other sealants #5  
Just check into whatever brand you use, some are corrosive! Don't know what brand had been used in my JD 420 garden tractor front tire, but it had eaten a hole in the rim. ~~ grnspot110

Thats not good Were u able to fix it or did you have to buy a new rim?

/ Slime vs other sealants
slime pro otr says that it will plug a 3/8" hole and the reg slime only a 1/4" hole

/ Slime vs other sealants #7  
Why use slime at all in a tractor tire? It is not hard to put in a tube. I even broke down the front tire on my 4310 with r-4's. Yes, it is more work than pumping gook into a tire, but lasts longer.

/ Slime vs other sealants #8  
Slime worked fine for a couple years on the front tires of my 4010. Last year, I had to remove them and put tubes in because they kept losing air. Now, they stay "up" all the time.

Ralph

/ Slime vs other sealants
Why use slime at all in a tractor tire? It is not hard to put in a tube. I even broke down the front tire on my 4310 with r-4's. Yes, it is more work than pumping gook into a tire, but lasts longer.

Come visit South Texas and you'll understand why we use sealant. Everything here has thorns.

/ Slime vs other sealants #10  
Thats not good Were u able to fix it or did you have to buy a new rim?

I needed tubes for the V61 tires anyway, so I cleaned & epoxied the bad spots & repainted. ~~ grnspot110

Attachments

• GARDEN TRACTORS 520 - Copy.jpg
    GARDEN TRACTORS 520 - Copy.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 531