VERY unhappy with John Deere's documentation

/ VERY unhappy with John Deere's documentation #1  

sgoldste01

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere GT245
OK, so I just bought a used GT245, and I decided to replace the hydro tranny fluid. I've been having a heck of a time getting the full 4.5 liters of fluid back into the tranny. I easily got the first 2 liters in, but over the past 5 days have only been able to add maybe 20 oz at a time by running the machine in forward/reverse, then waiting hours for the fluid level in the reservoir tank to drop below the FULL line. I've been repeating this process several times a day since I initially drained the tranny.

I noticed in the owner's manual that they specifically say NOT to remove a plastic cap on the top-left side of the tranny. See the "owner's_manual.jpg" attachment to see where they clearly say not to disturb this cap.

On the same day that I started this process I ordered the GT245 Technical Manual, which just arrived today. Well, what do you know? In the Tech Manual, they tell you to remove this same cap so that you can get fluid into
the differential gear side of the tranny! See the "tech_manual.jpg" attachment to see this.

I spent days trying to load the tranny with fluid as described in the owner's manual, only to find that there's a sure-fire way of doing this process in the tech manual that contradicts the owner's manual! Not only am I angry about the time I've wasted, but I'm also wondering if I could have damaged the tranny by running it with 2+ liters of fluid missing from it while I tried over and over again to get the fluid in as described in the owner's manual!

Why the **** would they provide a procedure in the owner's manual that doesn't work and might cause damage, but put a good procedure in the tech manual? Why can't owner's get the proper procedure? :confused:

Attachments

• owner's_manual.jpg
    owner's_manual.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 224
  • tech_manual.jpg
    tech_manual.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 242
   / VERY unhappy with John Deere's documentation #2  
I wonder if one direction is to top off, while the other set of directions is for an actual change?

/ VERY unhappy with John Deere's documentation
I wonder if one direction is to top off, while the other set of directions is for an actual change?

Nope. Changing the fluid is an authorized procedure in the owner's manual. The owner's manual very clearly states NOT to unscrew that cap, but rather to add all of the fluid through the reservoir tank. See the attachment below.

Pisses me off.

Attachments

• owner's_manual2.jpg
    owner's_manual2.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 201
   / VERY unhappy with John Deere's documentation #4  
Hopefully everything is ok, but running the machine at half capacity for 5 days doesn't look good for longevity.
I noticed that it clearly states that the plug on the left must be removed to fill that section of the tranny, before the other plug.

A 2 stage refill procedure.

Best of luck,

Hopefully everything is ok, but running the machine at half capacity for 5 days doesn't look good for longevity.
I noticed that it clearly states that the plug on the left must be removed to fill that section of the tranny, before the other plug.

A 2 stage refill procedure.

Best of luck,

Where did you notice that? My owner's manual says very clearly to NEVER remove that plug (see the first attachment in my original post).

It wasn't until I received the Tech Manual (which isn't a document that comes with the tractor; must be bought separately) that I learned I could remove the left plug and pour fluid into it.

/ VERY unhappy with John Deere's documentation #6  
Deere must be tailoring the directions to the likely audience. The first is for a idiot homeowner, and the second for a skilled technician. Looks like Deere dosen't want inexperienced people adding too much fliud.

In all likelyhood the owners manual was written before the technical manual and the techs found out exactly what you found. Then Deere corrected the directions in later publications.

Deere must be tailoring the directions to the likely audience. The first is for a idiot homeowner, and the second for a skilled technician. Looks like Deere dosen't want inexperienced people adding too much fliud.

They'd prefer that inexperienced people add too little fluid?

In all the time I was running with low fluid (approx 30 to 60 minutes max), the tractor sounded and acted normal. I wasn't doing anything rigorous with the machine; just rolling it forwards and backwards on my flat driveway (although I was running it at max speed much of the time). Hopefully this didn't cause harm.

It was the differential side of the tranny that had low fluid levels. Hopefully this side of the tranny is more tolerant of low fluid levels than the other side, which has the reservoir dumping into it.

/ VERY unhappy with John Deere's documentation #8  
I have the same tractor and did the same maintenance as stated on the owners Manuel just month or so ago. I assumed that since it states the 2 sides were internally connected fluid levels would equalize??? Did you have to top off the side it indicated not to remove. Thanks and this is good info
Dave

I have the same tractor and did the same maintenance as stated on the owners Manuel just month or so ago. I assumed that since it states the 2 sides were internally connected fluid levels would equalize??? Did you have to top off the side it indicated not to remove. Thanks and this is good info
Dave

Yes, I had to top off the differential side of the tranny by adding almost 2 liters of fluid through the plug that the owner's manual says not to remove.

Were you able to get the full 4.4 liters of fluid into the tranny by only adding fluid through the reservoir tank? Or did your tranny take less than 4.4 liters?

/ VERY unhappy with John Deere's documentation #10  
Less than the 4 liters. I assumed that I did not completely empty the trans and that was why I used less. I spilled a bunch out of the top of the filler hole as I was not paying attention when i was pouring in the fluid. Thanks again, will be off to investigate tomorrow,
Dave