Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

Default Blocking a wet disk clutch

I asked this question in another thread months ago...never got a response.

Since my previous tractors (a 670 and a 790) had dry clutches, I always clamped the clutch pedal down (clutch disengaged) during extended periods of setting. Both of those tractors had a tab on the floor board for this purpose.
    My current machine, the 4400 with a sync-reverser, has a wet disk clutch. There is no provision for blocking the clutch open and I don't recall seeing anything in the manual about this.
    So, for you deere guys whose tractors have wet disk clutches...do you block the pedal down?
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    kubota m8540hdc12 jd 2305 jd 4005 jd 5055e

Default Re: Blocking a wet disk clutch

i thought most sync-reverser clutches were dry.

Elite Member

Wouldn't think a wet clutch would ever have a chance to rust up beings it's coated in oil.
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

My Photobucket

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by bill in ny View Post
    i thought most sync-reverser clutches were dry.
    Not since 1998 or 1999...at least on the old 4xxx series and the newer 3xxx series machines.

This is my first "new design" tractor and I'm not familiar with wet disk type clutches. I'm looking for guidance from our esteemed TBN brethren.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    JD 5075M; JD 110 TLB; Ford Ferguson 9N: JD X300R

Agree with Willl... should not have to block a wet disc clutch. It's nice and cozy in that JD20D or C hyd fluid.

AKfish
    "Most people want to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."

Tractor
    JD 4520, 2305 Aktive snow-trac ST4

SR clutches are naturally blocked. Without the hydraulic pressure drive they are both (since there are two of them) disengaged. Since they are disengaged, the engine has NO holding power when off. I posted the schematic a few weeks ago.
    One of americas vanishing breed: Volunteer Firefighter

Roy

I have never heard of this practice, disengaging the clutch,, did you have problems-wet environment, past practices? Please enlighten me

Thanks

Art

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by n2deep20 View Post
    Roy

I have never heard of this practice, disengaging the clutch,, did you have problems-wet environment, past practices? Please enlighten me

Thanks

Art
    If a clutch (not only a tractor clutch...this applies to cars, truck..anything with a manual transmission) and pressure plate are in contact for an extended time, they can rust together. This is especially true in a wet or high humidity environment.
    So, one uses a block, clamp or other device to hold the clutch pedal down. I used a clamp on my old 670 and 790 tractors. There was a tab on the floor (next to the clutch pedal) for a clamp. It's my understanding Kubota includes a wood block of some sort for their gear tractors. I don't own a Kubota, so I don't know how it works. I have seen a bracket with a hook on some old Deere ag tractors.

If the clutch disk does rust to the pressure plate, you might be able to break it loose by popping the clutch. Worst case is replacement of the clutch/pressure plate (think $$$$).

When I owned an old Porsche 911S, I stored it during the winter months. I used a tool that is designed to hold the pedal down.

What I wrote applies to dry clutches. As you read in the responses to my question, wet disk clutches don't have this problem. Fortunately, none of my vehicles ever had a clutch/pressure plate rusting problem, but I have seen it from time to time...also read about on TBN occasionally.
    Roy Jackson

-Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    JD 4520, 2305 Aktive snow-trac ST4

Same thing can happen with a drive line safety clutch on implements. That's the reason you should loosen-slip-tighten each season. Several people have found out the hard way that the clutch didn't.

I used to use a dumptruck with a hyd driven clutch, blocking the pedal didn't work as it would leak down over time. We normally left the truck parked about 10ft in front of a big stump. It would start in reverse, and backing into the stump caused the clutch to break free. Didn't do my neck any good though...
    One of americas vanishing breed: Volunteer Firefighter

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cidertom View Post
    I posted the schematic a few weeks ago.
    I followed your posts back a few months and couldn't find it but am interested.

Could ya repost or link ?
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

My Photobucket

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast