3-Point Hitch 3 PT Tiller

/ 3 PT Tiller #1  

Stormtruck2

Bronze Member
Tractor
02 JD 4600 FEL, 72 MM Mower, Cab
As I have never used or bought a 3 pt tiller, I need advice on what to look for. Will go on an JD 4600. Do I want chain or gear drive? Think I want 60-70 inch width. Like I said, I don't know much about these things. I would prefer used as I think new is awful pricey. But if the value is there I could be persuaded. Am also looking for a box blade and/or a hydo angle rear blade. Info please. Help a rookie out. LOL

Last edited:
   / 3 PT Tiller #2  
How wide is your 4600 or to put it another way, how wide is the tires' footprint? You want the tiller at least as wide as that. I have my 50" tiller offset for now until I get the $ for a wider one and believe me, it is a pain not being able to till the full width of the tires.:(

/ 3 PT Tiller #3  
Mine is chain drive 50 something inches brand is Land pride maybe. On a used one check the wear on the tines as some will be worn more than the others.
Craig Clayton

/ 3 PT Tiller
I have turf tires on it now, I believe that it is about 72" wide. I will measure the tire tracks in the snow tomorrow for an accurate measurement. Looking for a tiller, box blade, soil preaper and seeder. Thats all I want Santa (for now).:licking::laughing:

/ 3 PT Tiller #5  
Me too! I have been looking for a tiller- or should say wanting one for a while. Had to get thru Christmas spending so maybe I can get one in the next month or so? I have had ZERO luck finding used ones. Most I have found are used used and they want almost new price for:confused:.. I beleive that Sweet Tractors has a good deal on new ones.. He has some cool pics on his new face book site or just google it. Everything attachments have some different brands than he does.. I want a 60in one... I have looked at the King Kutter and Phoenix ones and they seem to be nice. Have not seen a tarter or hawline but here they are good also... Chain vs gear? not sure if it makes that much difference but they seem to be about the same price. I think the 6 tines per flange is a good thing. It looks like you can get a 60 inch for about 1500 to 1800 new...For me that is the best thing unless I find a real nice used one...

AndyG

/ 3 PT Tiller #6  
You will want at least a 6ft tiller on the 4600. I have a Deere 665 (65") and it is to narrow. The next one will be around 7ft. Deere and Land Pride both make great tillers. I have heard good things about the King Kutter PRO tillers also.

/ 3 PT Tiller #7  
To make good use of a small tiller you need a tractor with real low gearing. Without the low gears you spend time riding the brakes holding the tiller back. Have used a larger Howard tiller behind a Oliver 1650 with good results. Spoke with a tree farmer who used a large Howard to till out Christmas tree stumps. Bought a John Deere 660 tiller used and spent a good deal of money making it right. Could not find used parts any place- until I finished. Then I located a yard in Camden Ohio that had a bunch of tillers that they were parting out. Tillers lead a rough life though so maybe the way I went was best.

/ 3 PT Tiller #8  
I haven't had much success with used tillers either. My new tiller is a Deere 673 which is the correct tiller for a 4600. With your tractor you can expect to pull the 673 about 1.5 to 1.8 mph at full depth.

/ 3 PT Tiller
Looking at the tillers on the JD website, I thought the 673 might be the best fit. $3,700 though is why I was hoping to find a used one. I might money ahead just to buy a new one. Then I can be the only one to break it!:laughing: How deep will she till? I have very hard compacted clay soil. I'm sure it will take 3-4 passes to get an acceptable bed.

/ 3 PT Tiller #10  
I would think two passes at 1.5 mph should take you to full depth of about 7 to 8 inches