JD 4200 HST wont go forward or reverse

/ JD 4200 HST wont go forward or reverse #1  

USMC.27

Tractor
JD 4200
Hey guys, my JD 4200 HST stopped moving yesterday afternoon. It was driving fine while box blading and just stalled out. The blade didn't have anything in it at the time and the engine RPMs remained the same. It would not move forward or backward. I engaged the PTO and it would move a little. I changed that Hydro filter and it would move a little but then would stop. I did notice some metal shavings in the old filter. Oh and there was plenty of hydro fluid in the machine. Any ideas? I'm afraid this is going to be expensive to fix, if it can be fixed, or am I going to have to replace the entire transmission? Any advise, information, and/or prayers would be greatly appreciated!

/ JD 4200 HST wont go forward or reverse #2  
Did you clean the Hydro screen?

/ JD 4200 HST wont go forward or reverse
Not yet. I had a friend of mine come help me move it yesterday evening and he suggested that, but after looking at the filter he is afraid it is to far gone. He is a heavy equipment mechanic and will look at it when he gets a chance, but it was raining when he got there, so he used the crane on his service truck to get it loaded back on the trailer.

Thanks for the fast response, KennyD and I'll make sure we do that first and see what that does.

/ JD 4200 HST wont go forward or reverse #4  
A complete failure of any hydrostatic tranny is pretty rare unless it is totally abused and/or the wrong fluid is put in it.

How may hours are on it?

/ JD 4200 HST wont go forward or reverse
it has about 530 hours on it.

/ JD 4200 HST wont go forward or reverse #6  
USMC.27 will the machine move if you select another range using the range shifter?

/ JD 4200 HST wont go forward or reverse #7  
USMC.27 will the machine move if you select another range using the range shifter?

I have a 4210 and a few times I have shifted from range to range and had my hydro shift lever hang up on neutral although that position wasn't indicated. May sound stupid but how does your 4200 engage 4wd (assumes you have that feature) I am wondering if your 4wd switch may have hung up somehow. 530 hours in nothing on a hydro transmission if it has been decently maintained and not run low on fluid.

/ JD 4200 HST wont go forward or reverse #8  
Another possible cause of loss of drive is failure of the torsional damper in the flywheel. I have seen a lot more of these fail than the hydro. A certain amount of metal filings in filter is normal. Did hydraulics still work OK? Try to see if the shaft between the engine and transmission is turning when you try to move.

/ JD 4200 HST wont go forward or reverse #9  
Mine did the same thing and it ended up being a lose electrical connection right under the pedals.. You may want to check those....

/ JD 4200 HST wont go forward or reverse #10  
Mine did the same thing and it ended up being a lose electrical connection right under the pedals.. You may want to check those....

He has a 4200 so it is mechanical, not electrical like the e-Hydro on the 4x10 series.