2940 Hydraulic issue

/ 2940 Hydraulic issue #1  

psu927

We have a 2940 4WD that is having an issue. Went to dump the bucket the other day and the boom was raised about half way and I lost all hydraulics to the bucket and 3pt hitch and steering as soon as the bucket was fully dumped. . Changed the oil and filter, and everything seemed to work ok, then tonight it did the exact same thing, at the same time (when bucket was fully dumped). I have very partial hydraulics this time. If I flip the high/lo selector it makes the hydraulics almost stop. Any assistance? The clutch is starting to go so I know we have a tractor split in the future. Just don't want to do it until summer.

/ 2940 Hydraulic issue #2  
It may have an internal Hydraulic leak in your HI-LO bleeding off pressure.

/ 2940 Hydraulic issue
Whats the best way to go about testing this?

/ 2940 Hydraulic issue #4  
if its not a bleeding off issue then your hydro pump is going out.an if its what im thinking youll have overhaul the hydro pump.an make sure not to pinch any seals or youll be overhauling it again.

/ 2940 Hydraulic issue #5  
How long did it work OK after you changed the filter? Also, does the clutch slippage seem worse in Hi or Low? Or is it the same? Try turning pto on and off and test hydraulics in both positions. Have you checked the sump screen? It could be clogged with brake material. There are many possible reasons for your problem. If you can answer a few questions, we can point you in the right direction.

/ 2940 Hydraulic issue
Where is the sump screen? It worked ok for about a week after I changed the fluid, but it wasn't used for much during that week. I also find it wierd it happened when the bucket was fully dumped both times. I'm 100% sure but I think the clutch slippage is the same in hi and lo.

/ 2940 Hydraulic issue
Do you think the clutch slippage could be a hydraulic issue? We adjusted it and it doesn't slip as bad, although it still slips. When it started slipping it did it all of the sudden, not gradual at all.

/ 2940 Hydraulic issue #8  
The supply tubes on the hyd Hi-Lo & pto have been known to crack/leak. Testing with a gauge will help diagnose the problem. Does the loader have an ind control valve ie not scv operated? If so the valve could be the problem.

/ 2940 Hydraulic issue #9  
The sump screen is behind the filter in the side of the transmission housing. It is behind a large plug(maybe 2")that needs either a 1/2" breaker bar or a large allen wrench to remove. Just remove the plug and slide out the screen. It is about 10" long. The slippage could be a hydraulic issue, but since it seems to slip the same in hi or lo, probably not. Unless the sump screen is totally clogged.

/ 2940 Hydraulic issue
There is only one hydraulic filter in the whole system correct? Very possible the sump screen could be clogged as it has not been cleaned since we have had the tractor. (10 years or so)