Mid PTO designs

/ Mid PTO designs #1  

9973720wb19

Platinum Member
Tractor
Many
I just traded my 3720 2008 in for a 4720 2011 both cabs.

the 3720 cab had a pto lever that i could put in 3 positions - rear pto only, mid pto only, or both running at the same time.

upon delivery, I found out the 4720 cab has only two lever positions - rear pto only or mid but when you engage the mid, both ptos will run.

Now I notice in the 4720 manual on page 33, it mentions the 3 position lever, just like the 3720 but there is a "Caution" box that states...if you run the mid pto the rear will also run.

I'm confused. did i get a different mid pto kit option with only two positions vs three? and or, why would the manual talk about 3 seperate choices mid, rear, or both, then mention the rear will run with the mid??

any help...many thanks!

/ Mid PTO designs #2  
Just think the manual isn't caught up with your tractor model.

/ Mid PTO designs
Thanks but I not convinced that's the answer. I called John Deere's customer support and they confirmed the maual I refered to (giving the new 4720 pto three running options) is the correct and updated manual. However, they would not confirm that what I had was right or wrong and sent me back to the dealer. I just want an answer. This should be a simple question for JD --- the manual said one thing (4720 Cab can operate pto rear only, mid only, or both - see the manual on line) and my new tractor has another (rear pto only or both only). This should not be this hard! Are there any JD techs out there that know about the 4720 MY2011 that could help?

/ Mid PTO designs #4  
Do you have a pic, or could post one, showing the two options available?
It would help make some comparisons.

/ Mid PTO designs
Do you have a pic, or could post one, showing the two options available?
It would help make some comparisons.

No, No photos to compare because I traded my 3720 in. I'll try to describe. The lever in the cab of the 3720 has three PTO positions - pull back for rear, push fwd for mid, or put in middle to run both. I assumed when I order my 4720 with the mid pto option, the set up would be the same. However, the lever only allows rear only or both PTOs to run - two choices - pull back or push fwd, there is no middle position for the lever. The confusion comes in with reading the 4720's Owner's manual, whereby it explains the exact system my 3720 had. One can go on JD website under 4720 manual, go to operating the mid-PTO and read about the three positions for the PTO lever - cab unit.

JD's customer service department confirmed I was reading the correct version of the manual and could only say "based on what I'm reading, you can operate the mid pto alone without the rear pto operating at the same time". When pushed to explain how there could be a difference with what is installed on my new tractor vs the manual, she just stated that all she could go by was the manual and based on it, she agreed that there should be three options for the pto operation. I'm a loyal JD customer, currently owning 3 peices of equipment with attachments - this is really fustrating. I should not have to work this hard to get someone at JD corporate to help me and or the dealer on this.

/ Mid PTO designs #6  
I just traded my 3720 2008 in for a 4720 2011 both cabs.

the 3720 cab had a pto lever that i could put in 3 positions - rear pto only, mid pto only, or both running at the same time.

upon delivery, I found out the 4720 cab has only two lever positions - rear pto only or mid but when you engage the mid, both ptos will run.

Now I notice in the 4720 manual on page 33, it mentions the 3 position lever, just like the 3720 but there is a "Caution" box that states...if you run the mid pto the rear will also run.

I'm confused. did i get a different mid pto kit option with only two positions vs three? and or, why would the manual talk about 3 seperate choices mid, rear, or both, then mention the rear will run with the mid??

any help...many thanks!

Say, wonder where in Maryland you are, and why you traded in the 3720? I've had my eyes out for a cab machine, but hard to pull the trigger. We're over here near Annapolis. BTW, the when the mid PTO is active on my 4400, the rear by design is. (it runs off the same gear set)

Wayne

/ Mid PTO designs #7  
Your dealer should be able to get you an answer or get you in touch with a Deere factory rep.

/ Mid PTO designs #8  
In the past the 4x20 cab versions had the good three position PTO, while the open station versions had that cost saving two position arrangement. Sounds like either a mistake or they spread the cost saving to more models.

/ Mid PTO designs
In the past the 4x20 cab versions had the good three position PTO, while the open station versions had that cost saving two position arrangement. Sounds like either a mistake or they spread the cost saving to more models.

That's something I'm wondering myself. The manual talks about the non-cab version, (two positions) and the cab version (three positions). Either JD changed the design for the Cab and failed to change the manual, or the dealer put the non-cab pto kit on my cab.

Thanks

/ Mid PTO designs
Say, wonder where in Maryland you are, and why you traded in the 3720? I've had my eyes out for a cab machine, but hard to pull the trigger. We're over here near Annapolis. BTW, the when the mid PTO is active on my 4400, the rear by design is. (it runs off the same gear set)

Wayne

Hello Wayne:
I'm in Harford County Maryland. My 3720 was like new with only 160 hours and two (full) self services, the last at 150 hrs. It had auto connect mmm, tire chains (never used), loader, air ride package, curse control, imatch. I really don't "need" the 4720. I justified it because my property is somewhat hilly and the 4720 is much more stable especially when pulling mowing decks. I have 40 acres and mow about half that - mostly feild mowing. Also, I think the 3720 cab is a bit top heavy. I already see a difference with ride stability and loader work with the 4720. The 4720 FEL can lift things that would make the 3720's body want to twist.
Mike