4100 three point intermittent lift problem

/ 4100 three point intermittent lift problem #1  

acs55812

Silver Member
Tractor
4100/410
I have a rear blade and noticed a "new" problem with the three point not lifting a couple weeks ago when cleaning up the driveway. It happened a couple times and I didn't think too much about it---it lifted when I backed up (away) from the pile of snow I had accumulated going forward.

Today it did it and it seemed worse, I was thinking I was going to have to drag it back to the shop and back in with it down---finally it did lift.

When it lifts it seems to lift at full speed and height, when its not lifting the front blower seems to lift fine.

Asking for possible cause may be premature---I have not checked fluid level,,,but have no fluid spots under tractor, the fluid was change a couple years ago with less than 50 hours usage since that time.

In past years I have had 900 pound of weight on the rear for traction, with no problem lifting---was it possible that was too much and wrecked a pump? Does the from and rear use the same pump?

Thoughts?

/ 4100 three point intermittent lift problem #2  
You only have one pump that runes the 3PH and the front loader or snowblower. Using a 900lb weight on the rear is fine, no damage to the pump can occur from that. When the fluid was changed, was the screen cleaned?

/ 4100 three point intermittent lift problem
Fluid and filter (screen/filter--can't actually remember what it was) were changed either 2 or 3 winters ago, tractor has around 225-250 hours total, so I am estimating 50 hours or less with this fluid in there---I will be looking into it this weekend, I gotta read the manual and figure out for sure what the red adjustment knob at the operators feet is and also can't actually say I have gotten to the point of even pulling the dipstick to check level yet---one pump is what I have always assumed so the front working and three point not certainly got my attention.

/ 4100 three point intermittent lift problem #4  
The knob at your feet, under the seat, is the rate of drop control. It is likely that your problem centers there.

/ 4100 three point intermittent lift problem #5  
The knob at your feet, under the seat, is the rate of drop control. It is likely that your problem centers there.

+1.

I was going to make the same suggestion to check the Rate of Drop knob. Instructions for adjusting it will be in your owners manual.

/ 4100 three point intermittent lift problem #6  

+1.

I was going to make the same suggestion to check the Rate of Drop knob. Instructions for adjusting it will be in your owners manual.

But that controls the lowering speed, not the ability to lift.

/ 4100 three point intermittent lift problem #7  
It also controls the flow. No flow, no lift or drop. Had same issue on my 4100. Had not changed the rate for years because I had it how I wanted it. Then started having problems like the OP and couldn't figure what was up. The knob was kind of froze from lack of use so PB blasted it, got it working and opened the valve, closed the valve, did that a few times while working the rockshaft and never had it happen again. Not sure that it will work for the OP but it did for me and it was a very cheap fix.

/ 4100 three point intermittent lift problem #8  
It also controls the flow. No flow, no lift or drop. Had same issue on my 4100. Had not changed the rate for years because I had it how I wanted it. Then started having problems like the OP and couldn't figure what was up. The knob was kind of froze from lack of use so PB blasted it, got it working and opened the valve, closed the valve, did that a few times while working the rockshaft and never had it happen again. Not sure that it will work for the OP but it did for me and it was a very cheap fix.

Well, I have a 4110, which is pretty much the same machine as the 4100 except for cosmetic differences. I just came in from plowing snow so I tried it. My 3PH can lift my ballast box filled with concrete effortlessly when the ROD valve is fully closed.

/ 4100 three point intermittent lift problem #9  
Kenny,

Mine is the same as yours, but I have read of others who have had this issue and changing the ROD knob has fixed the problem. I figured it was worth noting and trying. I don't know if it will fix the OPs problem, but I was always taught to check the easy stuff first when troubleshooting.

/ 4100 three point intermittent lift problem
Hmmmm,,,checked the fluid, quantity was fine,,,drained the fluid, a tad darker than I expected, but I don't remember what color it was going in either. Had a small amount (about a 1/4? teaspoon) of metal shavings on the bottom of the screen.

So far thats all I know for sure---now I gotta figure out what fluid to put back in (brand) or strain mine and use it---it was John Deere fluid.

The manual calls for 500 hour change, the tractor has around 250 total hours and probably 50 on this fluid.