hyraulic pruning tool on 3320

/ hyraulic pruning tool on 3320 #1  

jdjllee

I want to use my tractor (3320 with 300cx loader and 375 hoe) to power a hydraulic pruning tool. These pruning tools (ADI or Fairmont) can be open centered or closed centered. Not sure what that means. Do I need open or closed? What do I need for my 3320? Where/how would I hook up to the tractor?

/ hyraulic pruning tool on 3320 #2  
your 3320 is an open center system, that means
the attachment must be set up for open center.
many items, woodsplitters etc, have a valve that
can be changed easily between open and closed
by changing a pipe plug etc.

as far as hooking up to the tractor, will the
pruner have it's own control? if so, then i would
imagine the power beyond system would be best,
which is a continuous flow of pressurized oil.
a lot of folks use a scv also, and hold it open
with a bungee, but there is some restriction there
although in this application I doubt it will be a bother.
make sure the pruner is rated for the tractor hydraulic
sytem for pressure and flow etc.

/ hyraulic pruning tool on 3320
thanks, the pruners are rated 2,000 psi. Don't know what my tractor pressure is. the pruners have a finger operated trigger. I assume the fluid just flows in a loop until you pull the trigger.

AP LOPPERS

/ hyraulic pruning tool on 3320 #4  
Your machine is rated for about 2500 PSI, but the pruners should handle that fine. And to confirm you need Open Center

But there is a little problem I saw in the specs:
  • Oil flow - 8-20 Liter/Min. (5 G.P.M) -Max Flow
  • Max pressure 133 Bar (2000 P.S.I.).
  • Oil - Hydraulic oil 10-30 SAE.
  • Oil cleanliness - 25 Micron filtration.
  • Max oil temp. - 60ーC (140ーF)
  • Open/Closed hydraulic system - on tool

The max flow is 5 GPM, and your tractor will flow 8.6 GPM-so the valve in the prunner will be a choking point and the fluid and valve could overheat.

Thanks, I think the 8.6 GPM would be at rated tractor engine speed say 2600 RPM so if I were to run around 1500 I'd probably be close to the 5 gpm. I think adequate pressure would still be there at the lower engine speed. But I see your point. If I had a problem with pressure or flow I think I could probably rig up an external bypass/regulator of some sort. I think these limb loppers woud be pretty handy. Not cheap though, so if I can take advantage of my tractor hydraulics I can cut out having to have a dedicated hydraulic power supply and give my tractor another job to do.

/ hyraulic pruning tool on 3320 #6  
Yes, lowering the RPM will decrease flow...but the pressure will stay the same.

Now for hookup, there are three options:

-The Power Beyond kit that Dutch suggested is good, it supplies a constant flow of oil whenever the tractor is running. About $300

-The 3rd SCV kit and the bungee cord. This may be also useful for other things for you as well. About $250

-You could unplug the two hoses going to your dump/curl cylinders on your loader (if you have one) and bungee the joystick over. Almost free

/ hyraulic pruning tool on 3320 #7  
Does your hoe use the tractor power beyond to power it ?

If so, you could tap into it there.

/ hyraulic pruning tool on 3320 #9  
Does your hoe use the tractor power beyond to power it ?

If so, you could tap into it there.

Good catch Will, I missed that he had the 'hoe-so yes he would already have the PB setup.:eek:

My tractor has the power beyond because I have the 375 hoe but I don't want to remove or disconnect the hoe hydraulics to go lopping. It's too cold out right now for me to look see if there are any auxilliary connections available off the power beyond. If not, maybe I can add some. 3rd SCV might be a good option.