JD Gator electrical troubleshooting

/ JD Gator electrical troubleshooting #1  

marktoys4

Tractor
JD gator
I have a 4X2 gator with a Kawasaki engine. The starter will not engage with the key, only thing I get is a click from the solinoid. If I jump the starter it will engage and start. I checked the neutral safety switch and it seems fine, if I use a jumper wire on the safety switch it makes no difference, what else should I try?

/ JD Gator electrical troubleshooting #2  
Remove and clean all 4 connection points for the large heavy starter/battery cables.

Or with a volt meter and a buddy to turn the key while you probe for your voltage loss.

/ JD Gator electrical troubleshooting
ok, update

If I jump the starter wire a jumper wire the starter engages and cranks well, but the engine will not start, even with the key on.

/ JD Gator electrical troubleshooting #4  
I do not own that kind of machine but lets look at what you have.
Post #1
( If I jump the starter it will engage and start ) does this mean (start) as in to produce a spark and the engine operates at proper speed.
Post #2
( but the engine will not start, even with the key on.) the word ( not start )
I can not figure out what you are meaning.

How old is the battery ?
When you use your jumper to pull the starter solenoid in have the key set in the run position and have the spark plug boot pulled back and with a know good spark plug lay it against the block and see if you have a spark
To make cranking over easier when testing for ignition if you remove the plug from the engine you will not be fighting the compression ( replace when finished)
My Kohler has a wire to the carb which I think is the fuel solenoid.
Lets try these tests and see what the group thinks.
Craig Clayton

In my first post I meant to say the engine cranks only

with the ignition switch on and by jumping the solinoid wire a jumper wire the engine turns over fine, no battery problems. but will not start.

if I only use the iginition switch I only get the solinoid to click and engage but the starter motor will not turn over.

There is what looks to be an aluminum heat sink attached to the frame that has the a lot wires running through it, I beleive this is the coil. But if there were a failure from the coil the engine would still crank with the key

until I figure out why the engine only cranks with the jumper and not the key,
the spark to the engine is secondary.

/ JD Gator electrical troubleshooting #6  
Mark, the item that looks like a heat sink is the voltage regulator. The coil is inside the engine shielding. Here's a copy of the wiring harness, see if it helps track down whats not happening
scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

/ JD Gator electrical troubleshooting #7  
Have you measured your battery voltage?? It sounds like it could possibly be weak (low voltage), you should charge it and have it tested with a good tester. If that's ok, then I would check the wiring as suggested for a loose/corroded connection. IF that doesn't turn up anything, then you might need to think about pulling the starter. If it's the kind that has the solenoid on the starter that plunges to engage the bendix (when you turn the key) it might be rusty or binding up inside.

Good luck.

/ JD Gator electrical troubleshooting #8  
If I remember correctly this engine has the solenoid shift starter where it's mounted to the side of the starter. There should be one small wire running to the solenoid that runs from your key switch. Crank your engine & make sure you are getting a full 12 volts at that wire. If you are, it sounds like a solenoid sticking of just burnt from use. I would say you are getting voltage because of the clicking. I would fix that first and then further test your engine. Pull the fuel line from the carburetor & crank your engine over to make sure your fuel pump is working. Let us know what ya find with it. Good luck.

Fixed it,

Thanks for the advice. The wire from the switch to the solinoid had cracked and there were only one or two strands connecting the two. repaired the wire and it started.
Mark

/ JD Gator electrical troubleshooting #10  
Good deal, always nice to have a simple fix!