Leaking Antifreeze

/ Leaking Antifreeze #1  

Gizmo2

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320
I noticed yesterday my 2320 is leaking antifreeze (2008 and about 250hrs).
It seems to be come from either the water pump gasket(s) or # 9 as depicted in this picture.
Can anyone tell me what the heck # 9 is? The parts diagram labels it as "plug". For what, a freeze plug maybe?
Could the bots just need a bit of tightening? Why now?
Water_pump.gif

/ Leaking Antifreeze #2  
You sure the leak is coming from the front of the engine? Dripping off the bottom of the pump?

Reason I ask; when I plug my block heater in for a couple of hours - (it's been below minus 20 here most of this week) - my tractor will have a nice little puddle of anti-freeze near the radiator overflow hose.

I'd guess that part #9 could be an expansion plug... it'll bulge out - before the pump housing would crack - if the water mixture should ever freeze.

I'd get one of those little angle mirrors that's mounted on an extendable arm (Napa's got 'em) and look at the pump with the engine running. If it's leaking; you should be able to see it!

AKfish

If it's the gasket - usually just tightening the bolts - doesn't fix the problem. It'll likely keep seeping. You'll need to pull the pump and install a new gasket - with a touch of RV blue!

/ Leaking Antifreeze
You sure the leak is coming from the front of the engine? Dripping off the bottom of the pump?

Reason I ask; when I plug my block heater in for a couple of hours - (it's been below minus 20 here most of this week) - my tractor will have a nice little puddle of anti-freeze near the radiator overflow hose.

I'd guess that part #9 could be an expansion plug... it'll bulge out - before the pump housing would crack - if the water mixture should ever freeze.

I'd get one of those little angle mirrors that's mounted on an extendable arm (Napa's got 'em) and look at the pump with the engine running. If it's leaking; you should be able to see it!

AKfish

If it's the gasket - usually just tightening the bolts - doesn't fix the problem. It'll likely keep seeping. You'll need to pull the pump and install a new gasket - with a touch of RV blue!
I guess you know no matter what I'll be pulling the pump. I took my inspection mirror and checked last night and I believe it is leaking from around the O-ring # 12. I want to get all the parts before I take it apart. The leak seems to stop once it is warmed up. This all seems like deja vu as I had had my JD650 for about 4 years and the water pump gasket went south on me. Changed the gasket in that and ran it of 16 more years, go figure.

/ Leaking Antifreeze #4  
Better the O ring than the pump it self or it would be an expensive fix. Years ago my JD 2030 (gas) lost the water pump. The fan began clanging on the shroud. I quickly shut it down. The bearing was bad allowing the fan to wobble, but the seal was not leaking . At that time there was a rebuild kit for the pump at about 1/4 the price of a new pump. I pulled the pump and had the dealer rebuild it.

/ Leaking Antifreeze #5  
I guess you know no matter what I'll be pulling the pump. I took my inspection mirror and checked last night and I believe it is leaking from around the O-ring # 12. I want to get all the parts before I take it apart. The leak seems to stop once it is warmed up. This all seems like deja vu as I had had my JD650 for about 4 years and the water pump gasket went south on me. Changed the gasket in that and ran it of 16 more years, go figure.

I'd sure take 16 years on a water pump!!! :thumbsup: 'Course it's pretty annoying that it should be causing grief after only 250 hrs..

AKfish

/ Leaking Antifreeze
Well my tractor went under the wrench Thursday morning and is now sittin comfortably back in the barn.
I decided to have the dealer do the work, maybe I can cry a bit to John Deere in as much as it is not even three years old yet. Dealer picked the tractor up Thursday morning and delivered it back Friday morning. $285.00 which included pickup, delivery and taxes, said to myself "I'm King I won today" BTW it was the O-Ring that was leaking.

/ Leaking Antifreeze #7  
Thanks for the update Giz...no help from mother Deere on the price?

/ Leaking Antifreeze
kennyd, I figure I will call JD on Monday or Tuesday. I need the tractor this weekend and will see if it is really fixed.

/ Leaking Antifreeze #9  
kennyd, I figure I will call JD on Monday or Tuesday. I need the tractor this weekend and will see if it is really fixed.

Good idea!! Hopefully your leak is really fixed and Deere will help out with the cost. My last coolant leak took several trips back to the dealer to finally get it fixed at no cost but it was under warranty. Deere's warranty is second to none in my opinion -- my experience anyway. Good luck.

/ Leaking Antifreeze #10  
hello all i am having this same problem with my jd2320 175hrs. hard to tell if its comming from #9 there is a puddle under the plug i cleaned the puddle good about a week ago and wiped any drips, ran it for awile then looked for leaks there was none, havent ran it since, been cheaking for leak and found none checked today and there was a puddle under #9 it has been very cold here, could the oring be bad after 175hrs?any advice or ideas should i wait for spring and see what happens tu.