Traction JD 450 track/drive sprocket coordination problems

/ JD 450 track/drive sprocket coordination problems #1  

jd450

Tractor
JD 450
We have a John Deere 450 and have track - drive sprocket coordination problems after we purchased a new track. The new track is approximately 6.125" spacing center of pin to center of pin, and the drive sprocket is approximately 6.0". The result is that the track rides up on the pins as there's a 1/2" gain every four drive sprocket teeth and then there's a snap when the chain goes over the top of the teeth. This obviously is going to create a lot of wear and tear on the track (and sprocket). Does anybody have experience with 6.0" 450 drive sprockets? Thank you, and have a good day.

/ JD 450 track/drive sprocket coordination problems #2  
I assume you mean the sprockets are badly worn. Or are you saying these are not the correct tracks?

/ JD 450 track/drive sprocket coordination problems #3  
:welcome:
Similar question to your dilema as lwalsh.
Can't go far with a sprocket/chain mis-match.
Am having a better day than you are, thank you. Your observation is correct as to the fast wear and tear.

Was there a different option when you ordered the chain?

/ JD 450 track/drive sprocket coordination problems
The sprockets are not worn but measure 6.0" vis-a-vis 6.125" for the track. Miscommunication at our John Deere dealer is the culprit. Are there 6.125" sprockets available for JD 450s?

/ JD 450 track/drive sprocket coordination problems #5  
I would think the Deere dealer is where you need to go for that.
I'd think not, but am not understanding the "miscommunication" comment. If it was their mistake (not yours) then they likely will make the correction. However..... (well you know the answer to that).

Expect larger sprockets would be for a larger crawler.

Good luck. :)

/ JD 450 track/drive sprocket coordination problems #6  
I come from a heavy equipment background
We ran all sizes of dozers
Most any track repair business (Cat, JD etc) will tell you to ALWAYS replace the sprockets at the same time as the track rails.
That way you are starting with unworn parts that will match.
If you use worn sprockets with new rails (or vice-versa) your wear will be much faster since they won't mate up correctly.

/ JD 450 track/drive sprocket coordination problems
The problem is that the new chain is longer than the sprocket. We need to find a 6.125" sprocket. We had worn out rails and good sprockets, and when they replaced the rails, they gave us the wrong size, not matching the sprockets. Any chance of finding a 6.125" sprocket to match the new rails?

/ JD 450 track/drive sprocket coordination problems #8  
Seems some part of this story we are missing. Wish you luck.

/ JD 450 track/drive sprocket coordination problems #10  
I would think the Deere dealer is where you need to go for that.
I'd think not, but am not understanding the "miscommunication" comment. If it was their mistake (not yours) then they likely will make the correction. However..... (well you know the answer to that).

Expect larger sprockets would be for a larger crawler.

Good luck. :)

I agree too. It would seem the mismatch/conflicting fit is something that can and should be worked out between the customer and service supplier. Not much any of us can do to help with this.

I should add that the day I sold my 450 crawler was a good day.