Oil Pan Heaters vs Coolant Heaters?

/ Oil Pan Heaters vs Coolant Heaters? #1  

Ironhand

Bronze Member
Is one better or more effective than the other? I park inside my heated garage most of the time, but sometimes I need to leave it outside and with temps occasionally dipping to -20, I need to do something to be sure she will start if needed.

/ Oil Pan Heaters vs Coolant Heaters? #2  
I have a couple of oil pan heaters from last year in shop. Stop by, You're welcome to them. :)

All they did was suck electricity and the effects were disappointing, shall we say.

Got a true block, coolant heater this year. Night and Day. Night and Day.

/ Oil Pan Heaters vs Coolant Heaters? #3  
In my experience, oil pan heater do a wonderful job of warming the oil and ensuring that it flows nice and easy on start-up, but do little to nothing to warm the block. Coolant heaters do a wonderful job of warming the block (and the oil to some degree, but not much) and make diesel engines fire off so much quicker and easier. If I had to choose, I'd go with a coolant heater. If it was really cold and I was really worried about things I'd use both.

/ Oil Pan Heaters vs Coolant Heaters? #4  
DO NOT WASTE YOUR $$ ON MAGNETIC PAN HEATER.
Frost plug heater or rad hose unit is the ONLY way to go.
One hour of preheat is all you need at worst.
Also get higher wattage available for your tractor.

/ Oil Pan Heaters vs Coolant Heaters? #5  
The gossip I heard many years back is that oil heaters can damage the oil as it is heated, but the water heaters did not and provided greater heating capacity.

/ Oil Pan Heaters vs Coolant Heaters? #6  
Use both for max results.

/ Oil Pan Heaters vs Coolant Heaters? #7  
Block heater best money you will ever spend on that tractor. :thumbsup:

/ Oil Pan Heaters vs Coolant Heaters? #8  
Is one better or more effective than the other? I park inside my heated garage most of the time, but sometimes I need to leave it outside and with temps occasionally dipping to -20, I need to do something to be sure she will start if needed.

I'm going to make it unanimous! The coolant block heater mounted via a frost-plug is the single best non-implement addition I've made to my tractor.

Frank

/ Oil Pan Heaters vs Coolant Heaters? #9  
My engine was already setup for a block heater. Remove a 1" NPT plug from the side of the block and screw in the block heater. I ordered a Zero Start from Transelectric for $36.

/ Oil Pan Heaters vs Coolant Heaters? #10  
Block heater by far! Will be money well spent.:thumbsup:

Greg