Snowblower Rear or Front Mount

/ Snowblower Rear or Front Mount #1  

nforktractor

Silver Member
Tractor
2009 JD 3320
From an earlier thread: Re: "Yup. It's that good!"

From MarkCuda, "I will never under stand why people want to blow snow in reverse"

And I said; "Pretty easy to understand once you see that the forward mount is twice the price",

For my 790, it was $2,200 for a rear mount, versus, $4,000 for forward mount, that's quite a difference.

Well after 12" of snow here in western loudoun county, northern virginia, and a couple of days of backing up, I'm ready to throw in the towel and start saving my money for a front mount!

I think the rear would be alright on level ground but, I've found backing up down a slippery hill is pretty difficult,

It took 2 come-a-longs to get it back up on the driveway,

Last edited:
   / Snowblower Rear or Front Mount #2  
oops, maybe your machine just wanted more snow? :D

/ Snowblower Rear or Front Mount #3  
Feel the same way about front and rear blades too. The implements, whether blowers or blades, for the front, are indeed twice the money, and in the case of the blades are 3 and 4 times the money.

But, for ease of use, practicality, not having to crank one's spine and neck?

PRICELESS.

I'm joining you in the Front Implement Savings Club!!!!
I am getting too old for this contorting my body around crap.

/ Snowblower Rear or Front Mount #5  
I'm almost 69 and have no problem running my rear blade backwards. If we continued to get big snows like the two biggies we got last winter, I'd go for a rear snow blower.

Maybe if they made a front one that would just clip onto where the FEL clips in place rather than have to remove it all, I might consider a front one, same for a front blade. Isn't the PTO awful long for a front one? The front PTO on my 4010 is just below the foot platform. Long ways to the front but not bad for a mid mowing deck.

Ralph

/ Snowblower Rear or Front Mount #6  
From the picture, it appears that you need some poles to mark the sides of your driveway. Looks as though you ran off the side. Put the poles in next spring first thing.

Ralph

/ Snowblower Rear or Front Mount #7  
Looks like a hulu'va grade.. and somewhat off-camber. My nose says: 'chains'. You probably need twice the traction of most of us flatlanders.

You might also want to get a portable winch to attach to a tree with a remote. Use mostly chain - snapping wire can injure you badly.

You probably live in a beautiful setting but I don't envy your task.

Jim

/ Snowblower Rear or Front Mount #8  
I see you have a blade on the front. Here is an idea, if you created a foldable small wing on the side of the blade that you favour you could plow down hill and scoop the snow away from the ditch that your tractor found. With the ridge in the middle of the drive then you could safely rear blow it. The WINGET could fold or slide up when straight blading.
Craig Clayton

/ Snowblower Rear or Front Mount #9  
I'm almost 69 and have no problem running my rear blade backwards. If we continued to get big snows like the two biggies we got last winter, I'd go for a rear snow blower.

Maybe if they made a front one that would just clip onto where the FEL clips in place rather than have to remove it all, I might consider a front one, same for a front blade. Isn't the PTO awful long for a front one? The front PTO on my 4010 is just below the foot platform. Long ways to the front but not bad for a mid mowing deck.

Ralph

Skid steer snow blowers do that - as long as you have skid steer compatible loaders.
Then a pump on the PTO, LOooong hoses, etc. I think I would go with solenoids for simplicity.
It all adds up.

Re: Contorting;
The less you do it the harder it becomes to do it - stay limber (-:

/ Snowblower Rear or Front Mount #10  
The only way to go. Have never met a person that has tried both and prefers the rear mount. I have loaded turfs and have never had a problem.

Attachments

• image-2160316152.png
    image-2160316152.png
    919.3 KB · Views: 1,706