JD 755 compact tractor won't stay running

/ JD 755 compact tractor won't stay running #1  

DouglP

Tractor
JD 755 Front Wheel Assist
Moving snow for about 3 hours and my tractor just stopped running. Temp was about 3 degrees with maybe -15 wind chill. Running #1 diesel, haven't had any problems in colder temps. Any way, I could turn key and it would run for a brief period of time and then quit. I replaced the fuel filter and bled the lines, but not the lines that go into the injector. The fuel pump continued running after the tractor quit so I don't think that is the problem. One thing I noticed when it would quit, "bare with me I don't know my parts", there is this accordion looking thing with a rod going into the center of it that when it runs moves forward and when the engine quits it slides back. So I put my finger on the end of this plunger while it was running and held it there for awhile and it would not quit, but if I would remove my finger, the plunger would slide back and the engine would quit. What is this thing, does it have anything to do with the thermostat? Any suggestions?

Doug

/ JD 755 compact tractor won't stay running #2  
Might be gelled fuel. What is the history of the diesel fuel that you are now running in the 755?

Is the plunger shown in this pic? That in the pic is the fuel solenoid.
It may be shutting the engine down as a result of some fault (problem).

Attachments

• 755_diesel.JPG
    755_diesel.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 1,145
Last edited:
   / JD 755 compact tractor won't stay running #3  
I have the CD tech manual for the 755, but it says nothing about the Yanmar diesel other than how to remove it.
But I have a JD455 with the Yanmar diesel and the following is mentioned in troubleshooting.

Also, from the 455 tech manual, is the following description of the operation. Might look at a seat switch or PTO switch on given the outside chance that is causing the fuel solenoid to shut the engine down.

Attachments

• 755_fuel_solenoid_troubleshoot.JPG
    755_fuel_solenoid_troubleshoot.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 304
  • 755_fuel_solenoid_operation.JPG
    755_fuel_solenoid_operation.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
   / JD 755 compact tractor won't stay running
The fuel is only a few days old. I added additive 911 to tank and to the fuel filter bowl when I changed filter. The ribbed rubber boot to the right of the arrow marked C is what I was refering to. Is that the fuel solenoid that you mentioned. What does it do?

/ JD 755 compact tractor won't stay running #5  
Yes the fuel solenoid. See previous post for additional attachment. Hope this helps some.

/ JD 755 compact tractor won't stay running #6  
That device with the plunger is the fuel shut-off solenoid. There are two coils in it. One coil that activates in the start position and then another coil activates to hold it open in the run position. It is not too uncommon for the solenoid to get weak over time and fail. Sure sounds like a failed solenoid to me.... with extended run time, the coil is getting warm and losing it's ability to stay open.

Well, in the morning I'll be giving my JD dealer another call. Thanks for the info so far.

/ JD 755 compact tractor won't stay running #8  
Doug-

Don't overlook the not-so-obvious. The fuel pickup on these machines can fall apart, causing you to run out of fuel with a half tank. First step is add a gallon of fuel if you can.

Thanks for all the input. I got my tractor up and running. Didn't have to replace anything, think it was a bad connection, saved me $120. Back to moving snow.