2305 50 hour MX - Still Confused

/ 2305 50 hour MX - Still Confused #1  

Joe Gremlin

My 2305 just ticked past 50 on the meter this week. So I've read the manual, talked to the guys at the dealer and read every thread on the subject I could find using the search function. And now I'm more confused than ever.

Manual says change oil and trans fluid at 50.
One guy at the dealer says wait till 100 hours.
Another guy at the dealer says do it now and put in regular oil.

Some folks here say do it at 50 and put in break-in oil for another 50.
Other folks here say do it at 50 and put in whatever you're going to run in it.
Still others say wait until 75 or 90 hours then change to synthetic.

Since the manual says change both at 50 I'm going to do that. But what do I put back in? Ultimately I want to run Synthetic in the motor and trans. Can I put those in now or should I run something else for another 50 hours before changing over? And if so, what? Break-in oil again? Regular oil?

If it matters, I live in SW Michigan. In the summer, I mow about 2-1/2 acres with a 54C deck. In the winter I keep the snow off of 500' of driveway plus turnaround and parking with a 6' back blade and the loader. In between I run a 'cone of death' splitter on the 3pt for my wood splitting chores.

Please share your opinions and your reasons for believing what you do.

/ 2305 50 hour MX - Still Confused #2  
If you want to run Synthetic, then that's what I would use. When I done the 50 hr on my Boomer, I put synthetic in everthing. And NO synthetic will NOT void your warranty. Use a good quality oil that meets the OEM spec's.

/ 2305 50 hour MX - Still Confused #3  
My dealer told me to do the first change at 100 hours and use the Low Viscosity oil, being we are so far north. Just sayin!

/ 2305 50 hour MX - Still Confused #4  
Sadly, they are all correct. The first oil change (50/100 hrs) rids the system of all the little pieces of metal and debris that are a natural part of any new assembly. I believe 50 hrs is a good point. Others prefer 100. On smaller machines, I would lean toward the lower number as there is less fluid to distribute the contaminants. It, really, makes very little difference. On larger systems I usually change the hydraulic filters and leave the original oil. If you have used the machine pretty hard during the first hours and have properly seated your rings, you can take this opportunity to switch to the oil that you're going to stick with. Otherwise, use break-in oil for another 50 hrs.

/ 2305 50 hour MX - Still Confused
If you have used the machine pretty hard during the first hours and have properly seated your rings, you can take this opportunity to switch to the oil that you're going to stick with. Otherwise, use break-in oil for another 50 hrs.
Ok not trying to difficult but how would I know if I've properly seated my rings? This is part of why I'm so confused I guess.

I mowed every week or two all summer, generally running the RPM at 2900 while mowing. I ran it at about 2100 RPM for the couple of hours I was splitting wood this fall. And 1500 or 2000 RPM for everything else (moving utility carts or using the loader). The oil dropped maybe 1/8" or 1/4" on the dipstick in the first 10 hours or so and its been there ever since.

So can I assume the rings are seated? I mean really, unless I have a problem later, how would I know?

And a second somewhat related question. If I'm going synthetic, what trans fluid would I need? From what I'm reading, Deere Plus-50 0W-40 should be fine for the motor. Does Deere make a synthetic trans fluid that meets whatever spec the 2305 needs? And are there any other brands I might want to be looking at?

/ 2305 50 hour MX - Still Confused #6  
I would say your rings are good to go. Motor oil sounds good for your region. I'm not sure about synthetics. I'll do a little research. Hy-Gard low viscosity would be my choice during the warranty period just to avoid issues if you encounter problems. If you're using Deere oil and filters, they can't accuse you of using cheap oil or sub-standard filters.

/ 2305 50 hour MX - Still Confused #7  
Joe here's what I use in my Boomer:
I use 10W30 in all my vehicles & equipment
Amsoil
Formula 4-Stroke® 10W-30/SAE 30
Synthetic Small Engine Oil (ASE).
Amsoil
Synthetic Tractor
Hydraulic/Transmission Oil
SAE 5W-30
Formulated for All-Weather Performance
in Farm and Commercial Equipment.
Amsoil also has other oils for diesel engines.
There are also other good synthetic oils out there to choose from.
What do you use in your vehicles ? Check and see if it rated for diesel engines.

/ 2305 50 hour MX - Still Confused #8  
I do what my dealer recommends because if there ever is any warrenty work in the future, things were allways done his way. Hopefully he will have my back in the "gray" areas of the warrenty.

/ 2305 50 hour MX - Still Confused #9  
great post, now for my question is it a sin to swap out the oil and filter at 35 hrs? Or should you keep the break in oil in for 50?
Thanks

/ 2305 50 hour MX - Still Confused #10  
Go at least 50. Give it a chance to work the burrs off.