Snow Review: 2520 with 54" Quickhitch Snowblower (Front Mount)

/ Review: 2520 with 54" Quickhitch Snowblower (Front Mount) #1  

larry8818

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520
I have had my 2520 since August of '06. This model was the largest 2000 series at the time one of which could buy. I would have bought the 2720 at the time, but it was not available. More HP is never a bad thing! The other tractor I priced out at the time was a 3520, but I liked the size of the 2520 as it is my lawnmower as well and is priority #1. I have always wanted a snowblower, & living in the northeast...this is a good year for one.

I didn't purchase a snowblower when I bought the tractor because at the time only the 47" was available and I'm sorry,... but the blower has to be wider than the tractor for me to buy it. Running over your packed track with skid shoes just does't seem like it would be a good scrape to me. I have always liked that 59", but Deere doesn't make it to fit this series tractor. By adding only 5" to the 54", I know the 2520 could lift and handle it with no problem. If you got into a huge storm of heavy snow with it, you'd either have to keep up with it more, or go slower, but if it were available I probably would have went with it and I know it would handle our average snowstorms without a problem.

The 54" is on the market now and there were two in stock at my dealer. I purchased mine in the crate for $3600. I needed the whole ball of wax with quickhitch, etc. Assembly time wasn't bad. Could have been great if the dealer gave me the manual to the quickhitch:(
The unit fits the tractor very well & it works great! I call this the second best thing to move snow with next to my 8' Boss plow on a 3/4 ton 2500 Pickup. Heated cab & heated seat with tunes can't be beat. But this can snowblow around the house to the generator, bulkhead, back doors, shed, propane tank & storm drains where my truck cannot go. I gave this a good test after we already had approx. 2' of snow on the ground from many layers of snow. I will say the 2520 sure does produce some great torque. If you watch the video's when going into a snow that comes over the blower at the rated RPM of 2600 the 2520's RPMs will grunt down to about 2100 rpm and just hold it there while it pushes that thing through the snow. It sure is fun to get a little "seat time" in the wintertime:thumbsup:

Check out the videos on you tube:
Part 1: YouTube - John Deere 54" Snowblower - Part 1
Part 2: YouTube - John Deere 54" Snowblower - Part 2
Part3: YouTube - John Deere 54" Snowblower - Part 3

Check out the pictures below:

Attachments

• _DSC0238.jpg
    _DSC0238.jpg
    862 KB · Views: 4,357
  • _DSC0239.jpg
    _DSC0239.jpg
    861.9 KB · Views: 2,535
  • _DSC0240.jpg
    _DSC0240.jpg
    781.3 KB · Views: 2,814
  • _DSC0243.jpg
    _DSC0243.jpg
    731.8 KB · Views: 2,026
  • _DSC0250.jpg
    _DSC0250.jpg
    636 KB · Views: 1,109
  • _DSC0254.jpg
    _DSC0254.jpg
    642.8 KB · Views: 911
  • _DSC0256.jpg
    _DSC0256.jpg
    636 KB · Views: 763
  • _DSC0265.jpg
    _DSC0265.jpg
    932.1 KB · Views: 1,451
   / Review: 2520 with 54" Quickhitch Snowblower (Front Mount) #2  
Very nice set up.:cool:

/ Review: 2520 with 54" Quickhitch Snowblower (Front Mount) #3  
Couple of observations:

1. I'm surprised for the price that the dealer didn't include the remote chute angle adjustment - it's a simple turn-knob cable that mounts to the left side. I really only use it in two spots: (1) to keep the blower from shooting gravel at my outdoor post lamp (I adjust it down for that pass when I get near it) and (2) when I get near the parking area of my driveway, I also adjust it down. That way, I can pack the snow "hard" into the banks I've created - the kids love it because it allows them to build snow forts that don't collapse!

2. The videos are cool - thanks for sharing. I find that if I lift the blower only half-way at the end of a pass, it doesn't angle the shaft to the point where it makes a lot of noise - but gives the blower plenty of clearance to back up for the next pass. I now only lift it all the way when the PTO is off.

3. What's hanging off the back of your tractor in the 1st and 2nd videos? Looks like a recycling container?

Sweet set up, Larry! Gotta agree - as far as tractor implements go, it's a hard one to beat.

/ Review: 2520 with 54" Quickhitch Snowblower (Front Mount) #4  
Larry,

Great write-up. Wish I could use mine, but I have gravel and am still trying to work out some kind of gauge wheel setup to keep it from digging in.

I notice the paint peeled off the front of your gearbox. Did the exact same thing on mine. Poor preparation, I guess. I'll be hitting mine with some black Rustoleum soon.

Glad to hear it's working out for you.

/ Review: 2520 with 54" Quickhitch Snowblower (Front Mount) #5  
Larry,

Very nice write up. Quick question (just because I am always curious), but what is the 'linkage' or attachment circled in yellow? Is that for another attachment?

_DSC0238 mod.JPG

Thanks

/ Review: 2520 with 54" Quickhitch Snowblower (Front Mount) #6  
Larry,

Very nice write up. Quick question (just because I am always curious), but what is the 'linkage' or attachment circled in yellow? Is that for another attachment?

Thanks

I bet he's got the rear hydraulic outlet kit bringing
the scv's to the rear of the tractor when he's not using
the loader/snowblower up front??
:thumbsup:

/ Review: 2520 with 54" Quickhitch Snowblower (Front Mount) #7  
"Quick question (just because I am always curious), but what is the 'linkage' or attachment circled in yellow? Is that for another attachment?"

Lost,

I think we're seeing the mid mount mower support brackets. His three-point hitch must be in the lowered position.

OOPS, I see what you're talking about, the extra hydraulic fittings?

/ Review: 2520 with 54" Quickhitch Snowblower (Front Mount) #8  
Thanks Runner

/ Review: 2520 with 54" Quickhitch Snowblower (Front Mount)
Hi guys. To answer your questions:

bxowner -
As for the remote chute adjuster I take the blower off to fit the tractor back in my little shed...and the loader has to go back on. That would be one more pain to deal with. It think it would be nice though.

I agree with you that the less you lift the blower, the less noise from the u-joint driveshaft.

That which is hanging off of the back of the tractor is made by John Deere. It is their Hydralic Dump MCS. It's the best thing since sliced bread in leaf season in New Hampshire...you never have to get off of the seat of the tractor to empty the unit:thumbsup: It's great:D

lost in wisconsin -
That linkage on the concrete is the attached to the 3pt hitch for lifting the mower deck. When snowblowing, I lift the 3pt hitch all the way up. It doesn't matter if I have the MCS on the back or the ballast box. With the hitch all the way up, that linkage lifts up as well.

On the right side right below the reverse pedal are hydraulic connectors for my rear hydraulic outlets. I use this outlet to raise & lower the hydraulic dump MCS. When I park the loader to mow, I disconnect the loader hoses and plug those in and it sends joystick control imputs to the connectors on the back of the tractor ..see the attached picture

Dutch445 & Runner -
You guys were dead on with your comments.

Attachments

• _DSC0253.jpg
    _DSC0253.jpg
    781.8 KB · Views: 894