How do I remove the fuel filter bowl locking ring?

/ How do I remove the fuel filter bowl locking ring? #1  

ragkar

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD2320 w/R4 $21,100 w/7.16%off
The JD2320 operators manual instructs me to turn it counterclockwise. But normally with a right hand thread it would be turned clockwise as seen from the top.
I can't see any threads so that doesn't help. It's on too tight to turn by hand and a rubber strap wrench didn't work. I'm thinking that a oil filter wrench might be what I need.
I need to be able to remove the filter if I get fuel gelling or paraffin precipitation.

/ How do I remove the fuel filter bowl locking ring? #2  
Ah, but it should be looked at from the bottom. That's the way the ring nut is threaded. It really shouldn't be very tight. Can you get a pipe wrench around the 'nut' while holding the bowl with your hand?

/ How do I remove the fuel filter bowl locking ring? #3  
Might help to see the parts breakdown. You are wanting to turn the ring off that secures the hanging filter bowl, and they are normal right-hand threads. Get a grip on the ring item 24 and push to the left.

Attachments

• 2320_fuelfilter.JPG
    2320_fuelfilter.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 719
   / How do I remove the fuel filter bowl locking ring? #4  
Mine took a lot to break loose. I probably sprayed Triflow or Kroil on part 24, the lock collar in hopes that it might help unstick things. I may have removed the whole assembly from the tractor to get a better grip on the lock collar. I do not recall if I used a strap wrench or a pipe wrench to break it loose. It sure would be nice if someone sold a spud wrench/spanner, kind of like what you use to remove that nut that holds the agitator or drum in a top loader washing machine. It was/is right hand thread. Part 24 came loose with less stuggle a few years later. Either I did not overtorque, or it was less years so it did not corrode together as much.

/ How do I remove the fuel filter bowl locking ring? #5  
It should not be on all that tight. Water pump pliers worked for me. Gave me a good feel and just broke it loose with them (turning to the left). Then just unscrewed the locking collar by hand. Going back together make sure everything is clean. I put on just a drop or two of diesel to lubricate and hand tightened until it seated and then another quarter turn. No problems since (10-12 hours or so).

/ How do I remove the fuel filter bowl locking ring? #6  
The ring on my 4010 fuel filter was impossible to turn by almost anything that I had. What I ended up doing (and do it all the time now) is to remove the entire filter/bowl assembly from its mounting on the frame. There's a single 12 mm bolt holding it in place. Then it's easy to rotate the whole assembly on the flexible rubber lines to/from it to get at that silly ring.

Ralph