JD 336 Baler Problems

/ JD 336 Baler Problems #1  

sadair

I recently purchased a 336 baler. When I run the needles through their cycle they are coming up well behind the tucker fingers and even behind the knotter. That is they do not pass through the knotting mechanism. I have tried adjusting the needle mounting bolts to no avail. The frame where the needles are bolted appears OK. The only thing that I can figure is that the needle are bent into a tighter circle or they are not the correct needles for the baler. Is there another adjustment to make? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!!!

/ JD 336 Baler Problems #2  
Picture worth 1001 words. Give us a shot during the needle lift where the tips are passing near the twine disks.

Take a needle off and look for a part number in the casting. Check this number vs. those on the JD Parts web site. Obviously look for welding flash. Compare the two needles to see if they are the same shape and dimensions.

There is quite a bit of adjustment available on the lift frame rockers.

/ JD 336 Baler Problems #3  
14T needles are AM3921
24T needles are AE12494 or AE15136
336 needles are AE15136 or AE36262 or AFH202537

Scratch some paint off and see if there is any red, orange, or blue paint under there. That's a brand issue.

You're gonna need a volunteer to measure the tip to bolt distance of a legit 336 needle and go from there.

/ JD 336 Baler Problems
Thanks for the replies. The number on the one needle I have off is AE 36262, so it appears that the needles are correct. Both needles do not come close to the twine disk. They pass about an inch behind the knotter mechanism (without touching it at any time). I will try and get a picture this evening and post. I also found the tucker finger shaft (# 2 in attached diagram) to be bent. I am replacing it.

Finding an operational 336 is an idea and measuring the needles will help to determine if the needle is bent. I wonder if the dealer has one in stock? The needle frame does not appear bent but I would assume that is also possible.

Anny additional ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Tucker.jpg
    Tucker.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,254
   / JD 336 Baler Problems #5  
sadair
Needles have been know to get re-curved from balers getting out of time or needle brake getting too loose/worn allowing needles to move into bale chamber prematurely. It very important that needle brake linings are in good condition and snug. It's also very important that plunger head stop dog is free and operating correctly with no broken spring or binding of this part(E56303 LEVER). As stated your balers needles will need to be compared to a good used or new needle to see if curve is correct. I've also witnessed bent needle frames(part # AE36620 FRAME) that is very difficult to check visually.

/ JD 336 Baler Problems
Here are a couple of photos with the needles all the way forward. With the needles in their home position there is 4-6 inches of the needle in the bale chute. The more I look at it I believe the needles are bent. Thanks for any ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_20110214_165124.jpg
    IMG_20110214_165124.jpg
    506.6 KB · Views: 4,361
  • IMG_20110214_165227.jpg
    IMG_20110214_165227.jpg
    546.3 KB · Views: 1,416
   / JD 336 Baler Problems #7  
Just an observation from your pictures. First your knotter stack is not pinned down. It looks like the wiper arm is wiping and it should not be with the needles in that position. The needles appear to have a weird curve to them.
My guess....things are out of time and the needles got bent.
It looks like a mess.:(

/ JD 336 Baler Problems #8  
Just an observation from your pictures. The needles appear to have a weird curve to them.

It looks like a mess.:(

That's for certain. I'd take a hard look at the needle carriage as well. I'll bet it is bent, too. Hope you got a screaming deal on this baler.

/ JD 336 Baler Problems #9  
That's for certain. I'd take a hard look at the needle carriage as well. I'll bet it is bent, too. Hope you got a screaming deal on this baler.

The only way I know of to find out which part or parts is bent is put a good/not bent needle beside the old needle and compare the curvature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kuboman I will remind you to check operation of the PH stop as it must be malfunctioning for needles to get bent.

I'm with you as Rick as I also will bet the needle frame is bent.
AFH202537 NEEDLE, TWINE W/ GUIDE ADD 130.00 USD 260.00
AE36620 FRAME, NEEDLE ADD 385.00 USD

/ JD 336 Baler Problems
I had both knotters unbolted because I had to take off the tucker finger shaft and replace it. I had run it through several cycles with the knotters flipped up so that is probably why the wiper arm is out of position. Thanks for your help.