Liquid oil pan gasket

/ Liquid oil pan gasket #1  

Nick359

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4720
I am working on putting a turbo on my JD 755. I called the dealer to get a new oil pan gasket. I was told the oil pan gasket is no longer available. They said they use a liquid sealer now. The dealer said it was going to cost over $50 for the tube.

Has anyone used a liquid sealer for the oil pan? If so what is a good brand to use for this application?

I have not pulled the pan off yet, so I don't know if it is rubber or cork or if I can reuse the one I have. I wanted to have all the supplies so I am not running back and forth to the parts store this weekend.

/ Liquid oil pan gasket #2  
Perhaps call your local automotive supply that caters to professional mechanics and ask them what they offer. Did you get a look at the sealant? I am guessing JD marks their stuff up 3x or more and a comparable product can be secured more economically. Perhaps MSC, Grainger, MacMaster Carr might have something

Permatex offers a number of oil resistant RTV's that are economical and I've had good success using on rear end covers, but never had an opportunity to use them on oil pans yet. (Blue or black RTV found at automotive stores everywhere. Just get the one marked as oil resistant)

With any sealant one needs to be careful not to squeeze all the sealant out when joining two components. They actually need some thickness to their joint to withstand multiple thermal cycles. Joints made for form in place gaskets will often have standoffs to keep the two parts slightly separated to prevent the sealant from being squished out. Also a very clean surface and letting them fully cure before exposing to fluids is helpful. If time allows let it set over night before exposing to fluids.

If you find something that works well please share. I could always use it.

/ Liquid oil pan gasket
I stopped at NAPA and they had some Permatex gasket maker. I think that will be the same stuff as the dealer. I had to get a thermostat to fix my truck before I have to go to work.

The turbo is too big to fit where I wanted it to. I might be making a header. I will post some pictures if I get time before work.

/ Liquid oil pan gasket #4  
I would try an aftermarket parts supplier for the pan gasket. I am sure you can find one. I have never had much luck with sealer only for a gasket on a tin oil pan as they deform so easy. Another more involved method is to buy a sheet of gasket material and make one using the pan as a template. Most gasket material of any form is available in small sheets.

/ Liquid oil pan gasket #5  
The high temp permatex silicones that run $4-$5 a tube work excellent on most applications especially on a rigid pan or cover as long as its either used as stand alone or if the gasket isnt cork or rubber then it will squeeze the gasket out and leak like a sieve.

If your 755 has a Yanmar diesel in it the pan is most likely a 3/16" to 1/4" thick flat steel plate. I bet the gasket will be re-useable and made of a thick hard to remove matierial. And if it is then smear one side with silicone clean the pan rails on the block with brake clean and air and go on it will work just fine.

As has been mentioned the gasket is available from someone else I can about guarantee it check with Abilene machine in Abilene KS is one place I can think of it really shouldn't be a big deal. hth

/ Liquid oil pan gasket #6  
Permatex silicone sealer is not a liquid sealer. Not saying that it won't work, but I have used liquid sealer for rebuilding the engine on my 1970 BSA motorcycle and had to buy the sealer from a motorcycle dealer. The sealer I used was actually quite liquid, gray in color and fairly sticky. It is usually used when both parts needs to seat together with a minimum space in between. But I cannot see why a regular oil resistant silicone could not do the job for an oil pan.:thumbsup:

/ Liquid oil pan gasket #7  
Well yes and no actually nothing is a liquid in that sense of the word even the anerobic sealers.

Most likely what you and his JD dealer are talking about is anaerobic sealer and it is very expensive and would be what is required for a flat think steel pan like I mentioned as long as no other means of sealing it was used. Silicone would work every bit as good I seal things every day with it and it works as it should. :)

Anaerobic sealers dry in the absence of air and is best suited for minimum clearances like motorcycle cases etc and aluminum or steel housings in general.

/ Liquid oil pan gasket #8  
Is it like a heavy machined cast pan meeting up with a wide machined flange on the block?

If so they probably are specking something like Loctite 518. And yes $50 is about right for a caulking tube. Its very good stuff.

You might try Loctite Right stuff, Its a silicone based sealant. Its not as good as 518 for a flange seal but it should work

/ Liquid oil pan gasket
The turbo is too big to fit in place of the muffler. I will be building a header and running the oil return to the valve cover, that's the plan for now anyways. I need to get some more parts tomorrow before work then I will try to get the job completed on my days off. Thanks for the help with the gasket maker. I will update the pics as I go along.

attachment.php

attachment.php

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=201006&stc=1&d=1298103062

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1,740
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 2,341
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 225
   / Liquid oil pan gasket #10  
I am a mechanic, retired,:thumbsup: worked on class eights, trucks, have done a lot of other machines. The very best gasket maker and what they use mounting the differentials on class eights. and my personal favorite is, LocTite 5699 Gray. You will not be disappointed.
Just a thought!