825i Gator Top Speed

/ 825i Gator Top Speed #1  

Newfiestang50

Bronze Member
Guys, I am considering buying the new 825i Gator and have a question about the top speed. I have never owned a gator so I am not familiar how JD has been restricting the top speed over the years on these gators.

I guess my question is, will the new 825i be limited by engine RPM, power, gearing etc. or does it have a governor, either mechanically or electronically.

I would like for it to be electronically since there would most likely be an aftermarket kit produced to change (increase) the top speed. The 44 mph is not bad but sometimes trail cruising you can get up to that for extended periods on good roads. Even at 35 to 40mph you are taxing the engine pretty hard from an RPM point of view and I am concerned that this may reduce the longevity of the engine.

/ 825i Gator Top Speed #2  
I have not had a chance to look over that new gator engine really well yet but I'm going to guess the speed is limited by the engines spark system. Spark will cut out when you reach a certain speed. I believe thats how most of them are and you can change the ignition module to get past that limit. Majority of your engines in lawn mowers are governor controlled, and 2-cycles will of course be spark controlled. When you floor the pedal of the gator, your throttle plate will be opening all the way and the only thing to stop it would be the spark. Another thing to look at is if the transmission is built to go that fast for extended periods of time. Engines are designed to work well at full throttle, with complete combustion happening and maximum cooling with air cooled fans. Be careful if you want to change it. If more speed is necessary, you may look at Arctic Cat Prowler 1000 or the Bombardier Rotax series. Just depends if you need a work machine or play machine. Some can do both OK. Good luck with your choices.