5x03 power

/ 5x03 power #1  

RPW

Veteran Member
Been doing some part searches etc and it seems that the only difference in the engines between a 5103,5203,5303 and maybe 5403 seems to be the injector pump and maybe the turbo. Has anyone attempted to increase their tractor power by changing out the injector pump? It seems on the surface that it would be a lot cheaper to change pumps than buying a new tractor. Not say that I'm going to do it but was looking for thoughts. BTW; from JD's parts website a new injector pump with core is about $800.

/ 5x03 power #2  
When you review the Nebraska Test results here: TTL test reports/JD Deere

It looks like the JD 03 series have different turbos as well.

You might get more Hp for less $$ by simply turning up your existing pump and swapping out the turbo instead of a new injector pump.

If you were to install a new pump, you'd also need to look at new injectors, too.

Know a good diesel mechanic...?

AKfish

/ 5x03 power
When I went to the JD parts website the turbo was the same, injectors were the same just the injectorpump was different. There were a couple of turbos but they seem to be serial number related. Turning up the current pump is interesting but I haven't found any information on this procedure yet.

/ 5x03 power #4  
When I went to the JD parts website the turbo was the same, injectors were the same just the injectorpump was different. There were a couple of turbos but they seem to be serial number related. Turning up the current pump is interesting but I haven't found any information on this procedure yet.

Really.... for each model there was a different part # for the turbos in the test results @ the Nebraska Test site. The 1st 4 digits on the turbos were the same but the last digits were different.

And of course, the psi boost was different when you went up the Hp scale.

AKfish

/ 5x03 power
That may be the key also is what the boost pressure is set to. I'll have to recheck the numbers.