J Deere 4300 front axle oil leak

/ J Deere 4300 front axle oil leak #1  

wrede

Bronze Member
Tractor
2001 J. Deere 4300
I have a 2001 JD 4300 with 4wd. I just noticed the right front wheel is showing oil leaking down the outside of the rim. I haven't had a closer look yet, but it seems it can only be the seal on the steering housing pivot or the axle shaft. Is this a common problem? Is it repairable in my home shop, where I have a good supply of tools and lifts, etc. or this a complicated piece that requires dealer repair? It appears that the outer steering housing comes off as a unit, as I see a 4 bolt flange there, but I'll need to get the tractor to my garage and take the right front wheel off. :(

/ J Deere 4300 front axle oil leak #2  
I've had this problem on my 4700 4wd, just bring it in to your dealer to do it. Its very complicated. Its around 4000 :mad:

/ J Deere 4300 front axle oil leak #3  
Several threads here on TBN about the leaking seals, some which include repair and some about venting the axle so it doesn't build up pressure when the oil warms up.

Do a search to find some additional help.

I keep my dip stick loose to act as a vent. Has worked for me for 12 years or so, with no problems yet.

/ J Deere 4300 front axle oil leak #4  
If its just a seal, which happens if hay baling string gets wrapped around it, it won't be that much. You might can do it yourself if you are handy and have the time. Get a manual or search here for a front wheel seal replacement.

/ J Deere 4300 front axle oil leak #5  
My 4200 did the same thing. It started after I used the loader to raise the front end to change the tires. I noticed there's some vertical play in the spindle when doing this must had disrupted the seal. The leak stopped on it's own after a few days.

M.D.

/ J Deere 4300 front axle oil leak #6  
I did it on my 4300. It took a solid day and about $50 in parts. Hydraulic press or ability to make one may be required. Need shop manual to do it right. I may still have my old one on cd. PM me if you want to buy it. If I hadn't had to fashion a hyd press it would have taken about 3 hours.

good luck

/ J Deere 4300 front axle oil leak
I had a closer look at mine and it is the outer axle shaft that is leaking. In checking the repair procedure, I found that these units may be equipped with ball bearings or taper roller bearings, and according to the numbers found on mine, I have ball bearings. The ball bearing procedure is to remove the outer cover and remove a snap ring to pull the axle shaft out to replace the seal. It sounds too simple to be true!! The ones with the taper roller bearings require a hydraulic press and a heavy vise/bench to hold it to torque the nut back on. For the moment, it is only leaking a little, the dip stick shows full, and so I'm going to see if it goes away by itself. I'm wondering if the very low temperatures, single digits, we had recently may have caused it, though tractors should be designed for low and high temperatures.

/ J Deere 4300 front axle oil leak #8  
:)
Glad you found out more about it.

Seals don't last forever, and water and ice are sometimes pretty rough on them.

/ J Deere 4300 front axle oil leak #9  
The outer axle seals are pretty easy to replace, I did them a number of times on a 4400 we used to have, took about 30min. These tractors, especially the early ones had major seal issues with the front axle (and in our case the rear axle too) :mad:

/ J Deere 4300 front axle oil leak #10  
I've had this problem on my 4700 4wd, just bring it in to your dealer to do it. Its very complicated. Its around 4000 :mad:

Maybe it is more complicated the further North you go, but as everyone said this is not too hard if you have a hydraulic press. Without one it is hard to take the axle hub off without damaging the axle. Don't ask me how I know... With a press and never having done it before it would take maybe two hours tops, and that is taking your time being extra cautious.

Wayne