Rear View Mirrors JD 300CX OS

/ Rear View Mirrors JD 300CX OS #1  

CinderSchnauzer

Veteran Member
A few weeks ago I commented regarding some mirrors that I installed and someone suggested pics. The camera and tractor were not in the same place until today.

To recap the tractor is a JD 3320 / 300CX FEL Open Station. There was a hole at the top of the FEL mast with a diameter almost the same as 3/8" ID plastic tubing. I purchased a couple of convex mirrors with 3/8" mounting stud, cut a piece of plastic tubing for the hole and inserted the mirror stud in the plastic tubing. Used a couple of SS washers on each side. Presto - adjustable rear view mirrors - total cost about $15.00.

There was another thread about steering wheel spinners. Note the JD spinner on the wheel. I find it to be very handy and use it all the time.

Attachments

• IMG_0712_1.JPG
    IMG_0712_1.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_0713_1.JPG
    IMG_0713_1.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_0714_1.JPG
    IMG_0714_1.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 330
   / Rear View Mirrors JD 300CX OS #2  
A few weeks ago I commented regarding some mirrors that I installed and someone suggested pics. The camera and tractor were not in the same place until today.

CinderSchnauzer - Thanks for posting the pictures! I have been wanting to add mirrors to my Kubota for snow plowing w/RB. I also have an existing hole in my FEL mast, but it is about 2" above the bottom of the mast. Do you find the 5" round convex mirrors provide enough field for your needs? What specifically do you use them to see? Are you looking at a rear implement, or for people, animals and/or objects behind you? Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
   / Rear View Mirrors JD 300CX OS #3  
There was another thread about steering wheel spinners. Note the JD spinner on the wheel. I find it to be very handy and use it all the time.

Good idea on the mirrors. I was thinking about doing the same thing for mirrors on my 4320 and 400X loader.

Years ago, those steering wheel spinners were called suicide knobs on older tractors like the Farmalls and Deeres and etc with very close front wheel spacings -- guess because they would roll easy if steering was turned quickly.

/ Rear View Mirrors JD 300CX OS #4  
Good idea on the mirrors. I was thinking about doing the same thing for mirrors on my 4320 and 400X loader.

Years ago, those steering wheel spinners were called suicide knobs on older tractors like the Farmalls and Deeres and etc with very close front wheel spacings -- guess because they would roll easy if steering was turned quickly.

That "suicide" knob was the term used in cars that had 'em in the early 50's (maybe before). I think it came from the damage it would do to one's chest (heart) in an accident.
I've had a spinner on my tractors for about 6 years, but I've never seen one on an older machine that didn't have power assisted steering.

I also appreciate those pictures of the mirrors...looks like a good idea to me.

/ Rear View Mirrors JD 300CX OS #5  
I've had a spinner on my tractors for about 6 years, but I've never seen one on an older machine that didn't have power assisted steering.

I also appreciate those pictures of the mirrors...looks like a good idea to me.
Roy, all seven of my grandfather's large farm tractors back in the 1940's and 1950's had those knobs -- three Farmall model H, two Farmall model M, one Farmall 400 and one John Deere model -- none had power steering and weren't all that hard to steer with those small close mounted front wheels (tricycle like) unless a fel was mounted. In addition, those tractors weren't all that hard to roll over on side hills especially when turning quickly and they did not have ROPS. I spent an awful lot of time helping out on the farm which had over 100 dairy cattle besides calves, heffers, pigs and a few riding horses.
Anyways, I'm starting to give away my age ......... still have some good old memorys on that old farm (over 1000 acres).

/ Rear View Mirrors JD 300CX OS #6  
Just as a matter of trivia, they got the name suicide knobs back in the days when power steering was a luxury item for on-road vehicles. Most cars - especially the older cheaper ones that we young guys could afford - had huge steering wheels and self-centering steering systems. No tractor I've ever owned had self-centering steering, it's pretty much an on-road thing. Anyway, the knob helped us turn the big steering wheel faster. We stupid young hot-rodders would crank that knob one direction or the other, then release the steering wheel to let the vehicle steering geometry self-center by itself.

Where it would go terribly wrong is when the knob would catch on the end of a buttoned down long-sleeved shirt - and stop steering wheel before it centered. Next stop; ditch, over a cliff, up a tree, in the lake, take your pick. So conventional wisdom at the time decided anybody who installed one of them on their car or truck was suicidally stupid. The name stuck to the knob, even when it was put to perfectly safe use.

But the power steering on my new 3720 is so light and so quick, that I can't for the life of me see wasting five bucks on a steering knob.

//greg//

/ Rear View Mirrors JD 300CX OS
CinderSchnauzer - Thanks for posting the pictures! I have been wanting to add mirrors to my Kubota for snow plowing w/RB. I also have an existing hole in my FEL mast, but it is about 2" above the bottom of the mast. Do you find the 5" round convex mirrors provide enough field for your needs? What specifically do you use them to see? Are you looking at a rear implement, or for people, animals and/or objects behind you? Thanks for sharing!

Yes the 5" convex gives sufficient field of vision for my purpose and are not stuck in the road for mounting / dismounting the operator station. Purpose is mainly to see objects / buildings behind when I'm doing snow removal or whatever with the FEL. I could have mounted larger rectangular mirrors but didn't.

The key here is not so much the specific mirror, but realizing the hole is there on the 300cx FEL. May be the same on all 300 series and maybe 400 as well. I always sort of realized the hole was there, but for some reason never made the mental connection to mount a mirror. Had I done it earlier, probably would have saved me from backing into the side of the shed with the backhoe bucket.

/ Rear View Mirrors JD 300CX OS
But the power steering on my new 3720 is so light and so quick, that I can't for the life of me see wasting five bucks on a steering knob.

//greg//

Agreed with power steering, it's certainly not a need.

They display these things right at the parts counter of the local JD store, so while sitting there waiting for the parts guy to get what you really need you're tempted to buy spinners / flashlights / pocket knives etc etc. Having said that I do find it handy and actually use it quite a bit.

/ Rear View Mirrors JD 300CX OS #9  
Very clever and inexpensive, congratulations !
But still not as good as the JD stuff.

Attachments

• DSCF1211 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF1211 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    254.3 KB · Views: 203
  • DSCF1354 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF1354 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    412.2 KB · Views: 256
  • DSCF1289 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF1289 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    463.9 KB · Views: 283
  • DSCF2016 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF2016 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    227 KB · Views: 276
   / Rear View Mirrors JD 300CX OS #10  
Very clever and inexpensive, congratulations !
But still not as good as the JD stuff.

Yeah...but a lot cheaper.
After you first posted pictures of those mirrors (Europe only, unfortunately), a TBNer did find them on JD Parts. IIRC, they cost well about $100 USD each.