JD4020 Question

/ JD4020 Question #1  

Grayson Klassen

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4020
Actually two questions

I have a 68 4020 with a 148 Loader. The loader controls are actually the rear hydraulic controls and somewhat hard to reach to control the loader with any finesse. Can I add a set of controls in a better location and if so where do I tie into supply and return lines?

Second question is I have a Meade Mfg cab an am missing a door, are they still in business or do I have to make one?

Grayson

/ JD4020 Question #2  
Welcome to TBN, Grayson. Fort St. John, huh? Great place! Definitely a growin' and happenin' place. Everytime I stop there; the place has changed and gotten bigger!

I've seen 146-148 loaders with a 2-control pedestal mount that was plumbed into the rear hyd outlets. The hoses were tied to the bottom of the operator platform and routed up to the dual spool valves in the pedestal. There's a big bundle of hyd hoses but it works better than trying to work those levers.

If you check out Used Tractors For Sale at TractorHouse.com: John Deere Tractors, used farm tractors and farm equipment, tractors for sale, Case IH, New Holland, Agco, Kubota - Used Farm & Agricultural Equipment - John Deere MachineFinder - www.fastline.com and look over the JD 2440-2840 tractors and some of the 4020's and 3020's you should find examples of the loader controls I mentioned.

Don't know about that particular cab Mfg. Have you tried to Google them?

AKfish

/ JD4020 Question #3  
I would get a joystick control valve from a hyd supply co(Northern Tool has these) and mount stick inside cab and valve below cab. Tee into large line just in frt of brake valve for pressure and route return hose to a ported hyd filter cover. This is the easiest and best way to attach an ind loader valve. One word of caution""" be sure a get a closed-center valve"""""

/ JD4020 Question #4  
My 245 loader uses an valve mounted to the loader mount frame, cable controled by a joystick, with hydraulics connected exactly as TXJim described. The quick couplers for the loader hoses mount directly to the valve.

Try checking on JDParts, looking up your loader model. You should be able to find a picture of how JD did it with a loader mounted valve.

/ JD4020 Question
Yes it continues to grow, Oil and gas is good and bad to the town for varying reasons. It is a good town though, not too small and not too big.

/ JD4020 Question #6  
Actually two questions

I have a 68 4020 with a 148 Loader. The loader controls are actually the rear hydraulic controls and somewhat hard to reach to control the loader with any finesse. Can I add a set of controls in a better location and if so where do I tie into supply and return lines?

Second question is I have a Meade Mfg cab an am missing a door, are they still in business or do I have to make one?

Grayson

Hi Grayson,

How long have you lived in Ft St John? Any chance you know any of my relatives? The Krischuk's? Uncle Steve passed away a few years ago while out with his Bison, but my aunt and cousins still live there.

Eddie

/ JD4020 Question
Eddie

I moved here in 2005 from Surrey, sorry I dont know them.

G

/ JD4020 Question
Okay I am back at this again after a bit of a break and a little more research.

I believe tying into the brake supply lines is only available on the later 4020's I can't see where it would be possible to tie in. However several website suggest removing the elbow feeding the SCV and replacing it with a tee and tying in there. Any thoughts?

Next as mentined above there is the option of the ported filter cover for the return line. No one suggested teeing into the return line for the SCV and I am wondering why?

Would love some feedback:confused2::confused::confused2::confused:

/ JD4020 Question #9  
Okay I am back at this again after a bit of a break and a little more research.

I believe tying into the brake supply lines is only available on the later 4020's I can't see where it would be possible to tie in. However several website suggest removing the elbow feeding the SCV and replacing it with a tee and tying in there. Any thoughts?

Next as mentined above there is the option of the ported filter cover for the return line. No one suggested teeing into the return line for the SCV and I am wondering why?

Would love some feedback:confused2::confused::confused2::confused:
On pre '69 4020's to plumb ind loader valve one should tee into "large line in front of brake valve" not a "brake line". One can tee into fitting supplying scv but the line I referred to will be closer to the ind loader valve hence less ft of hose required. On return line it can be attached to ported filter cover or fitting just to rear of hyd filter. I've never seen return attached to scv line.

/ JD4020 Question
Thats what I meant about the line it would be silly to only be able to use the loader with brakes applied LOL

I will have to take a look again.

If I take some pictures could you add some arrows for me?