Towing Capacity

/ Towing Capacity #1  

dconine

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4520 Cab
Would anyone happen to know how much a Deere 4120 utility tractor can tow? I was looking for a specification in the book, but the only thing I can find is the rear axle weight capacity. Can anyone point me in the right directions or is that what I'm looking for?

/ Towing Capacity #2  
Look under specifications for the Drawbar load...you can put 1100 lbs tongue weight on it...you have to use common sense though. Tongue weight is calculated to be 10-15 percent of the gross trailer weight.
Don't forget to factor in that common sense though.

/ Towing Capacity #3  
My 110 is rated to tow around 9,000lbs. But only around 500-600lbs on the drawbar, though.

I've read in some of the JD literature regarding hay wagons and balers that the recommendation is to not exceed 1.5 times the weight of the tractor.

AKfish

/ Towing Capacity #4  
Most likely if you could find the spec you will be dissapointed.

Most of the specs that I have seen are usually less than the tractor weight itself. Not counting the loader, just bare tractor. My L3400 kubota weighs 2600lbs and the manual rates it at either 2200lbs or 2400lbs, I cant remember for sure.

Your tractor is 3700lbs, so the spec is probabally in the 3000-3500lb range.

But they are grossly underrated. It has to do with saftey and being able to stop, even on a downhill. As well as covering their butts.

As roy said, use common sense. If you are on flat ground, an acceptable amount of toungue weight, and arent going full bore and have to stop in a hurry, you can tow whatever it can pull.

I have towed our large trailer with 3/4-1 cord of wood before. Easially topping 5k lbs. Well over double my rating.

So I guess it all depends on what exactally you are towin, how often, type of terrain, etc.

/ Towing Capacity #5  
This is from the JD Operator's Manual for model 335-375 round balers - page 25-2.

Max speed is 20mph when towing load equal to or less in weight than the tractor.

Reduce speed to 10mph when towing load up to double the tractor weight.

Do not tow loads exceeding double the tractor weight.

Use additional caution when towing loads under adverse surface conditions, when turning, and on inclines.

"Common sense" is the best "equipment" a guy can have...

AKfish

/ Towing Capacity
OK, thanks you for your help guys. I will double check the book with those specifications. We put the tractor on scales and with the 400 cx loader, wheel weights & loaded tires it weighs a touch over 6,000 lbs. So far the biggest thing we have pulled is a 20 ft. trailer full of wood which it did not have any trouble pulling. I only pull stuff on flat ground just to be on the safe side, unless it happens to be a light load.

/ Towing Capacity #7  
And, if you do need to go down a slope, select a lower gear at the top of the slope and be patient. Let the engine and gearing keep your speed down.
If you do loose control, it's unlikely you'd regain control using the brakes.

Low and slow is your friend when towing...