Mid PTO / Rear PTO Switches

/ Mid PTO / Rear PTO Switches #1  

jhortonvt

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310
Please put my worries to rest. We had a big storm today and while I was at work my neighbor borrowed my 4310 to snowblow his driveway. I have the front mounted JD 59" snowblower.

He was not familiar with the sequence to engage the mid PTO (mid PTO switch 1st then rear PTO switch) and disengage (reverse sequence).

So as they were trying to figure out how to get the snowblower to work there is no doubt that they tried a number of times using the wrong sequence..rear pto switch on then mid PTO switch on.

I have never used the wrong sequence, having read the manual before using. He said nothing happened when they tried the wrong sequence.

In the manual its says "Important: Avoid damage.....(use the proper sequnce).

How much damage could have been done, need I worry?

/ Mid PTO / Rear PTO Switches #2  
There should be no problem. The pto circuits have built in protection to prevent damage. If the rear pto is engaged first, there is a lockout relay to prevent the mid pto from engaging. Of course if a relay malfunctions for some reason, then damage could occur, I assume this remote possibility is why the manual warns against trying it that way.

/ Mid PTO / Rear PTO Switches #3  
Have you tried engaging the mid-PTO? If so, any noises you haven't heard before? Does the snowblower's auger rotate?
Doubt you have anything to be concerned about.

/ Mid PTO / Rear PTO Switches #4  
And don't loan your tractor out anymore. :)

Not worth the hassle and potential loss of friends.

/ Mid PTO / Rear PTO Switches #5  
   / Mid PTO / Rear PTO Switches #6  
And don't loan your tractor out anymore. :)

Not worth the hassle and potential loss of friends.

Or at the very least, don't loan it out without going over all the tractors functions with them.

/ Mid PTO / Rear PTO Switches
I'm feeling better now. JD110 I think you have it right on, that sounds like a perfect explanation.

As far as 'loaning' it out, it was more of a 'borrow'. I was at work and not available to ask, oh well. They are good friends, meant no harm and they are familiar with tractors, but as we know all tractors have differences.

BTW the key won't be left in the ignition anymore.

/ Mid PTO / Rear PTO Switches #8  
...BTW the key won't be left in the ignition anymore.

Doesn't matter.... if they happen to have a JD key of their own. I have four different JD's sitting around here (3 different models) and all of them use the same key. Last fall, I rented a Ditch Witch trencher right before the rental shop closed on a Friday. When I went to start it up to get if off the trailer, the key twisted off in the ignition... it was broke almost all the way through and was just holding on by a thread. Of course, by now, the rental shop was closed for the weekend. I used a dental pick and fished out the broken off piece and noticed that the key's "cut" look familiar. I stuck my JD tractor key in the trencher and it started right up. Many tractors and equipment use the same key.

It is for this reason that I rig my tractors with a hidden kill switch. If someone is going to take or "borrow" it, they're going to have to know what they're doing, and they're going to have to spend some time to get it to start.

/ Mid PTO / Rear PTO Switches #9  
It will make a gear grinding sound if you engage the rear PTO first then the mid PTO. They would have known right away the sequence is off. As for damage it could have chipped a gear in the mid PTO. If it works fine now with the proper sequence they likely did no harm. The FIL did it to mine.....he wanted to mow my grass when I was on vacation. He called for proper directions after he could not get PTO going and it caused no damage.