Tires Titan Tires

/ Titan Tires #1  

Dave P

I have a 4320 JD that I bought new in 06. The first year the front tires, R-1 Titan's developed age checks. I went back to the Dealer and talked to the guy who sold me the Tractor. He also is a good friend of mine. His comment, put a tube in them. There was quite a few people in the building, it was an open house. I should have been more aggressive the next time. Long story short he is no longer there, and I have the same tires, now with 3/8 crackes in the sidewalls. I am putting on new Carlsile's tomorrow. After I had ordered these I was told that Titan and Carlisle have merged. Oh great!! Does anyone know of this? I went to the dealer the other day and talked to another guy who remembered the day I was first there and complained about the tires. It appears that the dealer has had numerous complaints about the Titan tire. These are the tires that come on all JD's, at least in Vermont. He told me that they just replaced all four on a tractor just last week. It took them (dealer) 5 months to finally get them from Titan. The tractor is new, only eleven months old. Do the math, trying for five months, Titan tires cracked in the first six months. According to my dealer, Titan denies they have a problem, but they replaced all four on a eleven month old tractor. Take Toyota, they recalled a lot of vehicles because of the potential of floor mats making the accelerator stick. Safety issue, well Titan, what is this? The main question here is, has anyone had similar issues with Titan tires? I don't know what type of tires on other tractor brands. Thanks to all who read this and respond.

/ Titan Tires #2  
It might be too late to get a full replacement from Titan... However, your dealer might be able to provide you with some "leverage" with Titan that could help with your new tires.

That is, your dealer might be able to track down some information regarding problem lot #'s and/or year's during which Deere was involved with Titan over premature tire failures, etc. If there was a history with the Titan tires - Deere should have information regarding how, when, where, what, etc. and how the problems were resolved.

That information could help you (since there are people at your dealship who remember your initial complaints) with some "adjustment" i.e. a price break on your new tire costs.

Good luck.

AKfish

/ Titan Tires #3  
I've never had any issues with Titan tires; R1's or R4's. They've been great tires and the R4's seem particularly tough.

/ Titan Tires #4  
I've had four different tractors with Titan R4 tires since 2002 and haven't had any issues whatsoever. Maybe there is a defect in certain mfg serial numbers like suggested above. I'd pursue that possibility further.

/ Titan Tires #5  
Titan worked very well with me repalcing the rear tires with cracks. Contact them directly via the website.

All they asked me for was pictures and shortly after that a service truck replaced both rears at no cost to me.

/ Titan Tires #9  
Titan tires on my Deere 4300 since new in '99. No problems with any cracking. Could be a bad batch so would suggest reaching out to Titan.

But unless they were losing air or bulging, I'd not worry about cracks alone.

/ Titan Tires #10  
I have them on my 3520 on the front, and I noticed a blister starting on the sidewall after 80 hours of use. I have seen a lot of these tires come off early. Not sure why, but I have.
What size do you have on the front and back of your tractor? If they are 10-16.5 or 12-16.5s on the front, then you have a million other choices that you could put on there.
Michelin makes an all steel radial tire in those sizes that will last you longer than you will ever need them too, and they will perform better while doing it.