2320 hydro drive shaft just snapped off !!!

/ 2320 hydro drive shaft just snapped off !!! #31  
Does anyone know if this u joint is greaseable? If not should the manual not recommend replacing it after a number of hours.

I would think it would have zerk fittings if it was to be greased periodically. Or a maintenance requirement (in the manual) for removal and repacking the bearings after a certain number of hours.

/ 2320 hydro drive shaft just snapped off !!!
Nothing is mentioned about greasing this in the manual. Nor is there anything about replacing it, etc. I just went and checked and there are no grease fittings on this U-Joint nor the U-joint for the shaft that goes to the front axle.

For what it's worth: I am on my tractor almost everyday and it has not sounded or acted funny until the 20 seconds it start making that noise before I shut it down. I am guessing that noise was the U-Joint coming apart/vibrating and causing all that wear.

Mechanic friend coming in about 30 minutes to look at it....and then I will be heading to JD dealer to show them the pics and see what they say.

/ 2320 hydro drive shaft just snapped off !!! #33  
That U-Joint does look like it has been going bad for a long time. I am wondering if you would be able to hear it over the engine? I suspect you might be able to detect a vibration, but since I do not own this model I don't know how smooth they normally run.

I would be asking the dealer how many other failures of this type he has seen.
Might be that U-Joint was never lubed when the tractor was built.

I do not think fwd use was a factor, it would have affected the front drive shaft IMO.

/ 2320 hydro drive shaft just snapped off !!! #34  
U would be better off with a unit that has a straight shaft without ujoint from the engine to the trans..As far as I can tell the 2520 is not built like this.

/ 2320 hydro drive shaft just snapped off !!! #35  
Nothing is mentioned about greasing this in the manual. Nor is there anything about replacing it, etc. I just went and checked and there are no grease fittings on this U-Joint nor the U-joint for the shaft that goes to the front axle.

I guess this surprises me. My 2008 X748 has grease fittings on both the HST drive and 4WD shaft U-joints. They are not the easiest to get at either.

/ 2320 hydro drive shaft just snapped off !!! #36  
U would be better off with a unit that has a straight shaft without ujoint from the engine to the trans..As far as I can tell the 2520 is not built like this.

I feel for the OP and I sincerely hope JD repairs this under warranty since it is part of the drive train. This issue really depressed me ,since I have a 3 month old 2520.....all I could think of after seeing this is ,why didnt I buy the Kubota or the 3x20 series JD. But your post just relieved my misgivings some...thanks.

/ 2320 hydro drive shaft just snapped off !!! #37  
The likely outcome is John Deere will split the cost of the repair with you after the regional manager looks at it. Still this looks expensive to fix. :mad:

/ 2320 hydro drive shaft just snapped off !!! #38  
My 2008, 2305 have the same set-up and both u-joints have grease fitting. The opp.manual does not make any reference of these nipples.:confused: They are very hard to see and the only way to grease them is with the needle adapter.:mad: I grease them everytime I have a chance and think of it, that is exactly what I'm going to do right now.:(

/ 2320 hydro drive shaft just snapped off !!! #39  
Dry as a bone!

/ 2320 hydro drive shaft just snapped off !!!
Went to dealer today. They said they need to physically see the tractor to see what they can do for me. They said that JD will most likely not 100% cover this, but do some type of deal. But they won't know what JD will do until they can get the tractor in.

So they are going to come pick it up on Thursday.

The service manager said he has never heard of this failure. He also emailed other service managers to see if they have heard of it.

So, we'll see what happens when they look at it towards the end of the week.