Completed First Service on 2520

/ Completed First Service on 2520 #1  

pdp11

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520 CT
Yesterday, I completed the 50 hour service on my 2520. I guess it's not "new" anymore. All went well, and I'm glad I bought an oil drain dolly from Northern Tool last year. I fits perfectly between the rear wheels and made draining the hydro fluid easy.

I also decided to check the setup of the MMM lift and level the deck before starting the mowing season. That process is a bit fussy, but it was worth the time to get it right.

Now, I just have to wait for the grass to get a little higher...

/ Completed First Service on 2520 #2  
Pdp11, we just purchased a 2520 right before the new year. Have just 14 hrs on it (all blowing snow), will have a while to go before the 50 hr service since we still got snow the other day. When it finally warms up and able to do shelter belt work, road and garden work the hrs will add up quickly.When doing a service I tend to check everything out at that time to make sure the next time I go to use it I won't find a problem that has to be dealt with before I can use it. Since I've been away almost every time it has snowed lots the wife has more seat time than me. :(

Enjoy your almost new tractor :thumbsup:

/ Completed First Service on 2520 #3  
I don't know the answer to this but will doing your own service work void your warranty? I sure would like to hear a dealers perspective. I would do my own service as well as long as it doesn't bite me down the road for warranty coverage..

Any thoughts?? :confused:

/ Completed First Service on 2520 #4  
just follow the manual. and keep a record of work done .gave it a wash and polished it looks like new agin. did mine sunday changed all the fluids and cleaned the trans screen is was ok no metal on it . took the chains of changed the tires from R1s to R4s filled up with fuel.

/ Completed First Service on 2520 #5  
just follow the manual. and keep a record of work done .gave it a wash and polished it looks like new agin. did mine sunday changed all the fluids and cleaned the trans screen is was ok no metal on it . took the chains of changed the tires from R1s to R4s filled up with fuel.

The manual gives you a check list of things to either change or check?
That would be great.. My tractor hasnt come in yet so i can't see the manual but I'm trying to get all the info now so when it does get here i'm well informed thanks to all the great people on this site.

Thanks everyone !!! :thumbsup:

/ Completed First Service on 2520 #6  
RaisedonDeere
The manual is available on line.
And it has just as many mistakes as the printed version lol.

/ Completed First Service on 2520 #7  
RaisedonDeere
The manual is available on line.
And it has just as many mistakes as the printed version lol.

Well Rogator thats why I live on this website now. LOL
Way more info than the manual.. :laughing:

/ Completed First Service on 2520 #8  
I use one of these to record my service stuff and stick them to the underside of the hood..

3BQ_BkAgV36g8W-AEjNVtZBWx3QOzbfw2LU6qeQrvvT2-mpBelEFvEqDUOFMO3LdsFUrRx7bqb80M7OSf3TvTW2-E1FFUMhDmVRTBEVuLXuVezzfD5wsqfiJ1Zl02BSfZItnf31asEAhlJsvRRcJ

/ Completed First Service on 2520
The owner's manual does a fair job of giving you all the things you need to know for doing routine service. But the organization of the manual leaves the details scattered throughout the pages. I really suggest spending time around and under the tractor to locate all the things that you need to know about, especially grease fittings.

Between the tractor, MMM and lift mechanism, and the FEL, there are a lot of grease fittings on my 2520 to keep track of.

Changing the engine oil is really a no-brainer. It's just like changing oil and filter on most anything else.

Changing the hydro fluid in the transmission is slightly more complicated, with three drain plugs and the need to remove the suction screen to clean it. But the filter is really easy to get at, and the whole process doesn't take much time.

After a disappointing experience with setup and delivery of my tractor, I'm not eager to have the dealer doing service on it, and I'm less eager to pay them for their effort. I'll stop at doing parts business with them and stay out of the shop if I can help it.

/ Completed First Service on 2520 #10  
My supplier told me to do the 50 HR service myself and save some money.