Pulling out shrubs safely

/ Pulling out shrubs safely #1  

LHS Inc

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3520 eHydro w/300CX FEL
I'd like to safely pull out some good size shrubs this week with my JD 3520. I plan on having the FEL on and a 72" HD scrape blade on back. I will pull with the drawbar and slip hook chain. I will dig around each plant to cut some of the roots and pull on level ground. I probably wouldn't seek any advice but after reading some of the stories on TBN I'll take any advice on the subject. This is my first compact tractor. I have always used 100 hp + tractors on the farm without any problems of tipping or rollovers as the compact tractors are prone to do. ROPS are always up and the seat belt is fastened at all times with common sense ruling the day. I'd send some pics if I knew how to post them, I'll take pointers on that too. Thanks

/ Pulling out shrubs safely #2  
You should be good to go, pull from the drawbar. (not the 3pt hitch) but the solid drawbar below the axle. Also if the shrubs are small you can use the FEL to pull straight up on them with a chain. Just be aware of lifting the rear tires. try to center the chain around the bucket, and centered over the shrub.. Just use common sense. If you can get the 3pt hitch right over the shrub, and pull straight up, that is ok too. again use common sense, go slow, and be ready to reverse course in what ever way you do it. Just dont pull horizontally from your 3pt top link or something dumb like that. The leverage is all against you, and the front end can come up. Think through every operation and you will be fine.
( I aint turned one over yet, but not for lack of trying):)
James K0UA

/ Pulling out shrubs safely #3  
A neat rick I read about is to use a old truck rim. You hook the chain onto the plant/shrub then OVER the rim then to the drawbar. This allows the tension to be placed in a upward direction to help pull it out.

/ Pulling out shrubs safely #4  
Unless the ground is real hard, or the shrubs real big, I don't think you will need to do any digging or root cutting. Use a strong enough chain. :thumbsup:

/ Pulling out shrubs safely #5  
A neat rick I read about is to use a old truck rim. You hook the chain onto the plant/shrub then OVER the rim then to the drawbar. This allows the tension to be placed in a upward direction to help pull it out.

I'll remember that one...it's a good idea.

Now mine (which has been posted on TBN before):
Get an old firehose (if you live around a volunteer firehall, shouldn't be a problem) and thread the chain (works with cable too) through it.
The hose is stiff enough to prevent the chain (or cable) from snapping back if it slips or parts when under tension.

/ Pulling out shrubs safely #6  
I recently took up some shrubs and a small River Birch tree using my loader with a "Quick Spade" attachment which is basically a heavy dty shovel that mounts on your loader. You can do a google on "quick spade" and get more info in you're interested.

/ Pulling out shrubs safely #7  
LHS
Good comments you have received from others.
I'd like to just add that you want to avoid the temptation to back up and get a run at it, to try to jerk the shrub out. That is when things go awry, and even break or get out of control.

I've a 4300 and I remove a lot of 30+ ft spruce trees with my forks primarily. I stab into the ground each side and curl the forks up to sever the roots. They are long and tough. When I have several broken off, I push on the tree about 5-6' up and usually the root ball will roll out when the tree tips over. Then I put the forks under the root ball and lift while pushing. That usually does the trick. I then shake as much dirt off the rootball as possible and drag the tree off to the brush pile. Rabbits think it is a large safe castle for them where the coyotes can't get them.
I'm leaving the red oak interplanted between the spruce, and will be done when I remove about a thousand more. :)

Attachments

• 100_1421 (Medium).JPG
    100_1421 (Medium).JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 593
  • 100_1422 (Medium).JPG
    100_1422 (Medium).JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 503
  • 100_1414 (Medium).JPG
    100_1414 (Medium).JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 473
   / Pulling out shrubs safely #8  
I'm leaving the red oak interplanted between the spruce, and will be done when I remove about a thousand more. :)[/QUOTE]

I wish you're a little closer... I'll help you dig it out so I can plant it on mine.

/ Pulling out shrubs safely #9  
I am with you NOTV8 !
I love Blue Spruce (Colorado Spruce)!
A 30ft tree costs a bundle and when you transplant a more than 8ft tall the survival rate goes way down, according to the Arborists I have spoken with.
I guess... One mans Jewel is anothers trash......

Attachments

• Blue and Canan 4 2010.jpg
    Blue and Canan 4 2010.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 476
   / Pulling out shrubs safely #10  
I'll remember that one...it's a good idea.

Now mine (which has been posted on TBN before):
Get an old firehose (if you live around a volunteer firehall, shouldn't be a problem) and thread the chain (works with cable too) through it.
The hose is stiff enough to prevent the chain (or cable) from snapping back if it slips or parts when under tension.

Never thought of that, and a good safety tip. People like me never think about the when things go wrong and usually do part.