John Deere 950

/ John Deere 950 #1  

Paul Luke

Tractor
john deere 950
Just brought a john deere 950 loader backhoe .brought it knowing the 4 wheel drive doesn't work.It was an estate sale so no info from owner.Any advise to check for a hopeful simple solution would be appreciated.Also can any one tell me about the lock differental.It seems like the left rear is doing most of the work Thank You P Luke

/ John Deere 950 #3  
Just brought a john deere 950 loader backhoe .brought it knowing the 4 wheel drive doesn't work.It was an estate sale so no info from owner.Any advise to check for a hopeful simple solution would be appreciated.Also can any one tell me about the lock differental.It seems like the left rear is doing most of the work Thank You P Luke

i have a jd950 had a prob with differental lock, i put it in and it didint pop out turns out the button was rusty so i sprayed some pb blaster in it and it works fine now.

/ John Deere 950 #5  
Hi All,
I also just bought a 1980 JD 950 with FEL and 1550 backhoe and love it !

/ John Deere 950 #6  
Just brought a john deere 950 loader backhoe .brought it knowing the 4 wheel drive doesn't work.It was an estate sale so no info from owner.Any advice to check for a hopeful simple solution would be appreciated.Also can any one tell me about the lock differental.It seems like the left rear is doing most of the work Thank You P Luke

Congrats Paul on the new acquisition!

Hopefully it is only the drop box. They are known to be weak. See my story below.

I purchased a 950 MFWD tractor last year (summer 2010) with a similar story. The small time dealer I bought it from supplied a replacement "drop box" and said all I had to do was put it back together.

Here is a short version of what happened.

The drop box was for an 850. They do not cross.

The previous owner had broken a tooth on the ideler gear in the drop box and welded it back on WITHOUT EVER GRINDING IT TO MALE IT FIT. Not that any reasonable person would think that a wleded tooth would work for any length of time without serious heat treating and shaping to be sure it fit. There is no way a single revolution of the drop box gear could complete. When the previous owner tried it he shattered the bearing in the drop box and broke off the bearing journal ear for the idler gear shaft.

The shaft in the transmission, that drives the front wheels, was now broken off and they welded that back together.

This shaft is also the driveshaft to the rear wheels so I had to obtain a rear ring and pinion set which was only available, used, as a full diff kit.

The multi gear cluster in the tranny had a broken gear.

So here I am almost a year later with all parts finally found and acquired and trying to find time to put it back together.

After all this, I can tell you the tractor is a beast. ( I used it for two months before I tore it down)

Good luck with yours. If you machine wasn't abused as was mine you should really enjoy it's size and capability.