John Deere 5310 turns over fine but won't start

/ John Deere 5310 turns over fine but won't start #1  

drw

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800
This is an odd one for me. My 5310 suddenly started exhibiting this behavior. I turn the key and it acts normally and the starter turns the engine just fine, but it never actually starts.

It does seem like there used to be a faintly audible "click" when I turn the key but not yet all the way, but that click is now absent.

I made a video of me starting the tractor. If you're interested in seeing it and possibly commenting on your ideas, I'd love that.

YouTube - Tractor won't start

/ John Deere 5310 turns over fine but won't start #2  
No smoke while cranking means "no fuel". Although I'm not familiar with your tractors FI pump. I thinking the "no click" means your fuel shut off solenoid is not energizing. How many hours on the 5310?
Be careful not to overheat the starter motor.

/ John Deere 5310 turns over fine but won't start
My reading suggested the fuel shutoff solenoid may be the problem. The tractor has right at 300 hours.

/ John Deere 5310 turns over fine but won't start #4  
did you check all the fuses?

/ John Deere 5310 turns over fine but won't start #6  
That fuel shutoff is where I'd start too, after emptying the water trap at the fuel filter bowl. Water is what fixed that no-start problem for me.

That fuel shutoff is where I'd start too, after emptying the water trap at the fuel filter bowl. Water is what fixed that no-start problem for me.

I did do this, actually. I unscrewed the bottom of the fuel filter and hit the hand primer pump and blasted out all the contents of the filter, then tightened it back up and that made no difference.

/ John Deere 5310 turns over fine but won't start #8  
all i know is my neighbors jd43xx had a similar problem. it just turned over...nothing happened.

he called me to look it over, and i found a blown fuse. i replaced it and it fired right up.

i dont remember which fuse it was though

/ John Deere 5310 turns over fine but won't start #9  
I want to add: DO NOT use starting fluid on anything except an engine that is wornout and on its last leg..

We're definitely getting somewhere here.

I went out and checked the fuses. The 20amp fuse for the fuel shutoff solenoid was blown. I replaced it and tried starting it up. When I turned the key, I heard a click (more of a snap, actually). It wouldn't start and I checked the fuse but the new fuse had been broken!

So, this fuse is being blown each time. What would cause the fuel shutoff solenoid to blow its own fuse?