Tires John Deere 1070 tires

/ John Deere 1070 tires #1  

dennisj73

I currently have a John Deere 1070 with turf tires. I priced ag tires and rims last year and found them a bit too pricey. Finding used Ag tires with rims has proved fruitless. A dealer contacted me with R4 tires off of a 990 that would fit on the 1070 and maintain the rolling ratio. The only downside is that if I ever wanted ag tires, I would have to get different rims. Same issue as with the turf rims.

Most of what I do is brush hogging with the intent of doing some log skidding ---about 85/15. Would R4 serve well or should I hold out for ags. The turf tires just slick up too much and I find the 1070 getting stuck when it shouldn't.

Suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanki

/ John Deere 1070 tires #2  
Not sure where you live and what conditions you have to deal with, but I always go for the r1s. If your logging has no hills, mud or snow then the r4s might do. I had the r4s and 2 sets of r1s came available just like that. I do logging, plowing in the mud, snow and whatever else MI throws at me and there is no comparing the r1s to the r4s. Of course I mean the r1s rock.

/ John Deere 1070 tires
Thanks for the reply Mike! I understand, it's just that the R1's for the 1070 with rims are tough to come by. I really prefer ags but not willing to put out the $$ for new from JD.

/ John Deere 1070 tires #5  
2x votes here for chains! I had a JD 970 with turfs. I bought chains for it and that solved any problems in the woods and during winter, too.

Nonetheless, I really liked the traditional Ag type R1's.. so, I bought a set of rims and R1's later on -- it really was wasted $$$'s - IMO.

The R1's were pretty hard on my pastures and just maneuvering around the driveway always left gouges and divots.

I sold the tractor with the R1's and kept the turfs (they fit my JD 110). The guy who bought my 970 -- came back later and paid a premium for the turfs!

AKfish

/ John Deere 1070 tires
Thank you for your replies. I decided to go ahead on the R4's. I'm getting a brand new set of r4 tires and rims for $1000. I will look into chains as well. Aside from the price, one important factor was that the R4's would tend to be a bit more puncture resistant.

I was actually considering selling the tractor as changing out tires should not be this difficult.

Thank you for your answers. They are appreciated.

DJ

/ John Deere 1070 tires #7  
Funny I have a 1070 with r-1's and want to get a set of turfs for it! I'd like to be able to swap them out in the summer for yard work. The ag's wreak havoc on the grass. I agree, it's been difficult to find. If anyone knows of a full set with rims send me a pm!

/ John Deere 1070 tires #8  
I currently have a John Deere 1070 with turf tires. I priced ag tires and rims last year and found them a bit too pricey. Finding used Ag tires with rims has proved fruitless. A dealer contacted me with R4 tires off of a 990 that would fit on the 1070 and maintain the rolling ratio. The only downside is that if I ever wanted ag tires, I would have to get different rims. Same issue as with the turf rims.

Most of what I do is brush hogging with the intent of doing some log skidding ---about 85/15. Would R4 serve well or should I hold out for ags. The turf tires just slick up too much and I find the 1070 getting stuck when it shouldn't.

Hi Dennis,
I have a set of R1's with rims listed in the private party ads. These came off my 970 and I beleive they may fit your 1070. Take a look at ad if interested.

cheers,
keoke

/ John Deere 1070 tires #9  
If your interested in selling the turf please give me a call at 404-557-0509 thanks Dholder

/ John Deere 1070 tires #10  

Thank.