Wanting To Trade Industrial Tires and Wheels For Turf Tires and Wheels, JD 3038E

/ Wanting To Trade Industrial Tires and Wheels For Turf Tires and Wheels, JD 3038E #1  

beaglegun

Tractor
John Deere 3038E
I screwed up big time last fall and bought a new JD 3038E with the industrial tire option. I've since started a sportsfield and turf renovation business and the industrial tires are unacceptable. They were a $240 option when I bought the tractor and now they will cost me about $2000!

I believe the tire and wheel size is majorly inportant do to the MFWD. The tire sizes are differant for the turf and industrial tires and I can't find turf tire sizes that will fit on my existing wheels!!

What would be great would be if I could find a guy who got the turf tire option and now wants industrial tires. We could trade. I only have 60 hrs on this machine.

The industrial tires are:

25x8.50-14 4PR front R4 Industrial
15-19.5 4PR rear R4 Industrial

495561_lvb24878_rear_ind_3e.jpg

/ Wanting To Trade Industrial Tires and Wheels For Turf Tires and Wheels, JD 3038E #2  
I can't help you with the trade, but you should post your location to see if any takers are fairly local.
You could ask your dealer to keep an eye out for someone who wants industrial tires. Lots of tractors are shipped with R-4's and the buyer wants turfs, but doesn't want to wait. You'd probably have to ante up some money (since your industrials are used now...and even just 60 hours means used). Can't hurt to ask...

Now...I have turfs on my Deere 4400. Frankly, they do more damage to my lawn then the industrials I had on my old 790. I have just enough slope that the tires will spin (if in 2WD). So, turfs may not be the better way to go unless the lawns you work on are flat and level.

/ Wanting To Trade Industrial Tires and Wheels For Turf Tires and Wheels, JD 3038E #3  
Now...I have turfs on my Deere 4400. Frankly, they do more damage to my lawn then the industrials I had on my old 790. I have just enough slope that the tires will spin (if in 2WD). So, turfs may not be the better way to go unless the lawns you work on are flat and level.

I keep hearing this but have to question it. First, what level of lawn are we talking about... Finished mowed pasture, or an acre or two of manicured, string edged lawn... That seems to be a misunderstood point in someones opinion that R4's dont hurt the lawn. Heres the thing, turfs may slip occasionally and burn or tear a spot, but will quickly regrow in the growing season. R4's on the other hand may not slip but could and will leave nice deep visable cleat marks if the ground is anything but firm... In pasture grass it may be harder to notice, but in finished lawn its easily visible. Id much rather throw some grass seed on a torn spot than try and figure out how to remove 35 rows of cleat marks from a customers lawn. Just my 2 cents.

/ Wanting To Trade Industrial Tires and Wheels For Turf Tires and Wheels, JD 3038E #4  
I would start looking for a dealer with a used machine with turfs on it and see about swapping tires for a small fee. I would think a dealer would rather have the r4's

/ Wanting To Trade Industrial Tires and Wheels For Turf Tires and Wheels, JD 3038E #5  
I keep hearing this but have to question it. First, what level of lawn are we talking about... Finished mowed pasture, or an acre or two of manicured, string edged lawn... That seems to be a misunderstood point in someones opinion that R4's dont hurt the lawn. Heres the thing, turfs may slip occasionally and burn or tear a spot, but will quickly regrow in the growing season. R4's on the other hand may not slip but could and will leave nice deep visable cleat marks if the ground is anything but firm... In pasture grass it may be harder to notice, but in finished lawn its easily visible. Id much rather throw some grass seed on a torn spot than try and figure out how to remove 35 rows of cleat marks from a customers lawn. Just my 2 cents.

All finished lawn...but I'm not a "House and Garden" guy. The R-4's left impressions, but never rutted the lawn. The turfs have (before I started using MFWD all the time).
That's my experience...

/ Wanting To Trade Industrial Tires and Wheels For Turf Tires and Wheels, JD 3038E #6  
All finished lawn...but I'm not a "House and Garden" guy. The R-4's left impressions, but never rutted the lawn. The turfs have (before I started using MFWD all the time).
That's my experience...

Yeah, I guess the killer for me are those stamped tread impressions... Guess it depends on your tire too, I have fairly large tires for the weight of my machine. Not galaxys but still pretty big R3's.

/ Wanting To Trade Industrial Tires and Wheels For Turf Tires and Wheels, JD 3038E
I'm aerating sports fields. I have emailed all area dealers. The idea about finding a used tractor and swapping is a good one.

I'm in central Ky

/ Wanting To Trade Industrial Tires and Wheels For Turf Tires and Wheels, JD 3038E #8  
I'm aerating sports fields. I have emailed all area dealers. The idea about finding a used tractor and swapping is a good one.

I'm in central Ky

What brand of aerator do you have? I got a great deal on a 2010 Frontier 2060E. Some guy bought it new and didn't even put it in the ground, traded it back in and I bought it used. It has six spoons per hub as compared to eight on the more expensive models. I would prefer the eight but I couldn't turn down this deal and it did a good job when I tried it out. It also has a heavy duty frame which is a plus. Before I bought my own JD 3520 w/R4's I rented a 3520 with the R4's many times to overseed on different soils and didn't have a problem with tire tracking the lawn. You just have to pick the right conditions to not leave any tracks. Pick the wrong time and you can have problems with turf tires too. My tread pattern is a little different than yours, I don't think it's enough to cause a problem but maybe it is. There is ground disturbance with an overseeder or core aerator so what little the tires do as far as scuffing should be taken care of with the attachment you're using IMHO. Check out the tread pattern in my pic.

Attachments

• 102_0487.jpg
    102_0487.jpg
    810 KB · Views: 844
   / Wanting To Trade Industrial Tires and Wheels For Turf Tires and Wheels, JD 3038E
I have a Landpride CA2560 with the dual 30 gal water tanks. 8 spoons per gang, 96 total. It works fairly well but on soft turf when lifted the tread pattern will be left. You are compacting at the same time as you are aerating to relieve compaction!!!

I'm fixin to give up on finding a trade. I found a guy south of Lexington who wants to buy my wheels and tires. I guess I'll buy new and take the hit.

/ Wanting To Trade Industrial Tires and Wheels For Turf Tires and Wheels, JD 3038E #10  
I have a Landpride CA2560 with the dual 30 gal water tanks. 8 spoons per gang, 96 total. It works fairly well but on soft turf when lifted the tread pattern will be left. You are compacting at the same time as you are aerating to relieve compaction!!!

I'm fixin to give up on finding a trade. I found a guy south of Lexington who wants to buy my wheels and tires. I guess I'll buy new and take the hit.

You'll have to treat the area where you lift up as a turn row like a farmer does and aerate it last as you leave the area.

Let us know how the turfs perform.