Snapped 4 wheel drive shaft

/ Snapped 4 wheel drive shaft #1  

kenn6341

Hi.

Just purchased a 2009 jd 2320 with 46 backhoe. Was looking to pay for machine and pick up and find out I need to wait because the 4 wheel drive shaft is bent and needs to be replaced. This machine has 110 hrs and was presented as a babied mulch & snow machine in new condition. Am now nervous about going through with transaction. Has anyone else heard of a drive shaft defect? or is this from trying to overuse the machine? Thanks in advance!!!

/ Snapped 4 wheel drive shaft #2  
:welcome:
Do a search on snapped drive shaft, as there has been a thread going about an issue with the same model.
Check in the Deere boards and you should spot it, if you haven't already done both of these.
Your title says snapped off, but then you say bent.

I suppose the machine could be babied but still driven over a rock or ice without enough clearance to bend the drive shaft. Those things happen to the most careful of us users. :) And I'd expect can to you as well.

Great that it was discovered before you were delivered the machine.

/ Snapped 4 wheel drive shaft #3  
The other current thread on a drive shaft issue with a 2320 is for the shaft between the engine and transmission, not the one to the front axle.

I guess it depends on how the shaft got bent as to how nervous I'd be. I'd want to understand the circumstances and consider if there is any potential for damage beyond the shaft itself.

/ Snapped 4 wheel drive shaft
Thanks for the reply. The shaft apparently came out of the front and bent while removing snow. The guy seemed pretty up front about the machine and it is in great condition otherwise. He replaced the shaft and said he wasn't really happy with the new one either, and that the shaft seems like it should be a little longer than it is.

/ Snapped 4 wheel drive shaft #6  
Man this sure sounds suspicious. Drive shafts don't just fall out and I don't follow when you say he thinks the shaft should be a little longer! Is the shaft that he thinks should be longer genuine JD? :confused:

110 hours is nothing other than this little issue it sounds great!

Oh and why is he selling it?

/ Snapped 4 wheel drive shaft #7  
Man this sure sounds suspicious. Drive shafts don't just fall out and I don't follow when you say he thinks the shaft should be a little longer! Is the shaft that he thinks should be longer genuine JD? :confused:

Glen, thats actually one of my complaints on my 3520. that darn thing looks like a tooth pick. it does move for and aft easily with about an inch of travel.

if the machine was driven in 4wd on dry surfaces, it could have cause the described issue.

make sure your front seals on the axle are dry...this is another issue that can be caused by similar operation.

/ Snapped 4 wheel drive shaft #8  
hi
I also have 2320. I was driving on the road (not in 4 wheel drive), under 200 hours, and had the shaft explode from under the tractor. completely off the tractor. jd replaced it for free. Some models had a drive shaft that the diameter was too small and this would happen. This is a known issue.
Hope this helps.

/ Snapped 4 wheel drive shaft

I have heard some similar stories about the shaft being flimsy. This appears to be the only issue with the machine and I have loved it other than that. The guy selling was a mechanic, and had a small yard. He was planning to buy property in Vermont, and use the tractor to clear and work the lot. His plan fell through so it just sat in his garage for most of it's short life. He paid 22,100 with the backhoe, I got it for 15,900. That's the same as renting it for $2100 a week for three weeks. I can live with that!! Thanks for all the replies guys.

/ Snapped 4 wheel drive shaft #10  
I have heard some similar stories about the shaft being flimsy. This appears to be the only issue with the machine and I have loved it other than that. The guy selling was a mechanic, and had a small yard. He was planning to buy property in Vermont, and use the tractor to clear and work the lot. His plan fell through so it just sat in his garage for most of it's short life. He paid 22,100 with the backhoe, I got it for 15,900. That's the same as renting it for $2100 a week for three weeks. I can live with that!! Thanks for all the replies guys.

I blew the drive shaft on my 2320 when I had it going down the road in 2WD.
Deere has an update on the shaft. Check the diameter. If it's about 1/2" or 5/8" you have the old shaft. If I remember the new shaft is about 7/8 or 1". It's a lot more robust.

Rob