SB2164 loader mounted hydraulic snowblower

/ SB2164 loader mounted hydraulic snowblower #1  

KennedyDiesel

Veteran Member
Has anyone here tried one of these?

I'm looking to add a big blower for next season. We have a horse pasture that drifts in badly and bucking it open with a loader just plain sucks. I was originally looking at doing a 3pt conventional reverse mounted unit, but this loader mount really intrigues me.

/ SB2164 loader mounted hydraulic snowblower #2  
The things we do for our horses. :D

Very nice looking blower. I wonder how quick they are to remove if you need the loader for other daily chores?

/ SB2164 loader mounted hydraulic snowblower
I wouldn't worry about clearing the pasture, but it drifts in 3' deep. We have it set up on a 300'xapprox 30' strip as a "dry lot" to protect the main pasture while giving room to run.

I see 2 stumbling blocks with this blower:

1) it's set up for the std loader connection and not my Skid Steer attach

2) The $11,000 price tag versus $3k range for a 3 pt unit...

/ SB2164 loader mounted hydraulic snowblower #4  
First, I don't know what a SB2164 is, but I inquired about a Sheyenne blower that was on a Kubota Grand L at a trade fair here a few months ago. It was loader mounted on a skid steer quick attach. It ran off a pump on the mid PTO and used the tractors hydraulic sump for oil. It had quick couples on the loader boom and looked like it would be easy on and off, This was a 72" and I was told about $8,000.

Kim

/ SB2164 loader mounted hydraulic snowblower #5  
You may want to check the price on that blower/power unit.

I too would like to trade up from the JD 59" blower but the cost is just too high.

Erskine makes similar loader mount hydraulic powered blowers as well.

/ SB2164 loader mounted hydraulic snowblower #6  
Appears to be the Frontier
Select a Model

Suggested retail $12.5 k

Didn't see what hp tractor with enough hydraulics to drive it might be required. Any idea?

I would go with a blade before a snowblower, but that would just be me.

/ SB2164 loader mounted hydraulic snowblower #7  
Isn't that the model that has a PTO-driven hydraulic system? Doesn't work off the tractor's hydraulics - relies on PTO - Hp.

The full-color JD ad shows it attached to a cab model 4720.

AKfish

/ SB2164 loader mounted hydraulic snowblower #8  
I go backwards and forwards on this question.
a) I would really LIKE to blow snow and do it while driving forwards.
b) I would like to use ONE tractor for clearing snow, not come back to get a different one just to use the FEL for stacking snow when the banks get high.
c) Yeah, price is a factor.

I have an option on a JD-Loftness rear to front blower that would fit a small/medium tractor that I have, but it would likely become a "Project" - - the price is right and from what I've seen it can be hung on the 3pt at the back directly or used with the under tractor rear to front drive shaft and drop down gear-box.
I think I will get it, try it for a season on the back so I can keep the loader on and use ONE tractor per storm.
If that becomes a pain in the neck(literally) I guess it will go on the front and the loader issue will be to swap tractors mid storm (-:

Ahh, there is the "neighborly help" issue too;
If I'm going to find a bicycle or gas grille in a 3ft drift I would rather discover it as it falls from the bucket than when it jams a blower (-:
So I guess its still the FEL for the neighbor's driveways.

/ SB2164 loader mounted hydraulic snowblower #9  
I go backwards and forwards on this question.
a) I would really LIKE to blow snow and do it while driving forwards.
b) I would like to use ONE tractor for clearing snow, not come back to get a different one just to use the FEL for stacking snow when the banks get high.
c) Yeah, price is a factor.

I have an option on a JD-Loftness rear to front blower that would fit a small/medium tractor that I have, but it would likely become a "Project" - - the price is right and from what I've seen it can be hung on the 3pt at the back directly or used with the under tractor rear to front drive shaft and drop down gear-box.
I think I will get it, try it for a season on the back so I can keep the loader on and use ONE tractor per storm.
If that becomes a pain in the neck(literally) I guess it will go on the front and the loader issue will be to swap tractors mid storm (-:

Ahh, there is the "neighborly help" issue too;
If I'm going to find a bicycle or gas grille in a 3ft drift I would rather discover it as it falls from the bucket than when it jams a blower (-:
So I guess its still the FEL for the neighbor's driveways.

I haven't seen the Frontier blower up close.. but I'm assuming that it's a QA blower with quick disconnects on the hyd lines.

So, that would be a 2 minute change over from blower to bucket.

Personally, I'd rather see that bicycle in front and just closing into the blower... much quicker response to hit that little yellow pto button when things go bad!

When I'm backing in reverse and having to crane my neck to and fro - I can't always be looking backwards - so, I move slowly and keep an eye on things side to side.
That means I'm taking a chance that I'm not about to crush something directly behind me!
Response time is greater in reverse motion... quicker response for any object directly in front - IMO.

With a 2-stage blower there's less risk for major damage if the object is large enough to jam the front feeder screw-wheel. Much uglier when things get into the impellor - blower..

AKfish

/ SB2164 loader mounted hydraulic snowblower #10  
I would rather SEE the bicycle first too, whether it is about to go into the bucket or a blower - it might not be there, it might be, I'm not going to dig around to find out first (-:
Easier if the bucket gets it.

Here's something not TOO crazy.
There are skid steer to 3pt adapters, which are handy for putting something on the front for some quick job when it is inconvenient to take the back hoe off.
I haven't priced this exactly, but it probably wouldn't cost a WHOLE BUNCH of money to put a rear mount blower on one of those, then drive it with a PTO mounted pump and hydraulic motor.

Then you could have it either way, according to whatever else you have planned and the switch over is just like changing buckets, plus hitching up a 3 pt implement.

Make sense ?

That would also set you ready to use just about any other skid steer implement on the front too, including those needing high flow.