New discovery on my 2520

/ New discovery on my 2520 #1  

pdp11

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520 CT
The transmission has a dipstick. I never noticed it until I was looking at the transmission housing illustration in the parts manual. It clearly identifies it, and offers a part number of M807561 for it.

The owner's manual never mentions it, and only refers to the sight glass for checking the fluid level. It's not that the dipstick is really hard to get to. As long as you move the range selector to high range, you can reach down right in front of it and pull it out. I wonder why John Deere doesn't point out the fact that it exists?

You can see it in the attached photo that's taken looking down on the inside of the left fender, just in front of the range lever.

I feel like a dipstick for having the tractor for 10 months, doing a complete 50 hour service on it, and then realizing it was there.

Attachments

• image-2060351427.png
    image-2060351427.png
    932.2 KB · Views: 717
   / New discovery on my 2520 #2  
Don't feel bad I'm on my second 2520 and I didn't find out about the dipstick till this post. I don't think I have ever seen a big company with so many mistakes and information such as grease zerks left out of their manuals.

/ New discovery on my 2520 #3  
Great Find!!
Owned mine since '06 with 345 hours and never noticed.
Have you checked the dipstick against the sight glass to gauge?

/ New discovery on my 2520 #4  
Thanks Pdp11, just got mine just before the end of last year, finding out more and more the stuff JD missed in the manual.

/ New discovery on my 2520 #5  
Thank You pdp11 This will really help with the 50hr service.