Adding hydraulic outlets to model 5500

/ Adding hydraulic outlets to model 5500 #1  

bigsnowdog

Tractor
Deere 5500 Kubota L245DT, Ferris 3100
I have a 1996 John Deere 5500 4x4 with a quick detach front end loader. It has enough outlets to run the loader, and the fittings are under one of the steps to the operator's position. I would like to add some rear outlets for other attachments [such as a dumping wagon], and also be able to have a grapple on the front end loader, which I think will require an additional circuit to the front.

I would like to do this in the OEM, fully hydraulic way, rather than using some of these electric solenoid operated valves I have read about.

What all do I need to do this? Are these parts likely to be available used from anywhere? I ask that because I priced parts new once and they were about $800 to add a pair of outlets on the rear. What thoughts do you have on this modification?

Thank you.

/ Adding hydraulic outlets to model 5500 #2  
JD used to offer a 1/3 field install SCV kit. Part number LV100117. It was for 5200-5000 series and 5210-5510 series with or without a cab. Then they repalced that kit with LVB25310 for staddle mount only 5220-5320 series. By 1/3 they mean adds 1 SCV to the rear if you did not have any, or adds the third if you already have two (does not matter if couplers are rear or mid mounted.) Which is what you have.

You can ask the JD dealer service manager to print out install instructions for both kits. Looks like the only difference between them is the linkage and lever.

I have a LVB25310 kit I bought when I was looking for a 5000 series tractor.
PM if interested (a lot less than $800)

I assume by a pair of outlets you mean two couplers which equals ONE SCV.

/ Adding hydraulic outlets to model 5500 #3  
Adding a rear SCV is pretty straightforward. Adding a mid-mount 3rd SCV is a bigger technical challange.

A "clean" and reasonably easy solution would be to add the JD OEM SCV kit to the rear of the tractor and then install an electric diverter with joystick toggle to switch the hydraulic function between the front loader and rear hyd.

Of course, you will also need the hard lines and couplers for your particular loader model as well. JD offers that option for various loader models too.

Another option would be to install the JD OEM Power Beyond circuit to the rear of the machine and mount a 2-valve open-center body at the rear of the tractor. You would then need to route a set of hyd lines forward to the loader. The flexible lines from the rear would terminate at the FEL hard line couplers.

Hyd functions would be from levers on the 2-valve body. This type of install might be a bit less expensive... but it would not be nearly as "clean" as the 1st install with electric diverter - IMO.

Nonetheless, you might find after all is said and done - the $800 cost might not be as bad as you originally figured..

AKfish

/ Adding hydraulic outlets to model 5500
What exactly does SCV mean?

What I want to end up with is a way to run a possible, additional cylinder on a front grapple, and also run a dump cylinder on a wagon to the rear. I don't see these occurring during the same work, but I want the lines run and the control valves available. I don't need outlets to be mid mount such as my loader currently has.

/ Adding hydraulic outlets to model 5500 #5  
SCV stands for selective control valve.

I am guessing your tractor has a joystick to control the loader and the couplers are mid mounted. I think the valve is located on the right side near the rear axle and hoses run to the couplers. Another option was hoses to the couplers at the rear instead of the mid position. A friend has a 5210 set up that way, joystick, rear couplers and loader hoses run all the way to the rear.

The 3rd SCV would bolt to the current two valve stack you currently have giving you one more SCV with couplers at the back. You could run hoses from this all the way to the grapple cylinder. Disconnecting them when you want to use the SCV for the dump wagon.

JD also offers 3rd function hard lines for the loader.

I don't think JD offered rear mounted and mid mounted SCVs until the 5X25 series, they just remotely mounted the couplers with hoses or hard lines.

/ Adding hydraulic outlets to model 5500
SCV stands for selective control valve.

I am guessing your tractor has a joystick to control the loader and the couplers are mid mounted. I think the valve is located on the right side near the rear axle and hoses run to the couplers. Another option was hoses to the couplers at the rear instead of the mid position. A friend has a 5210 set up that way, joystick, rear couplers and loader hoses run all the way to the rear.

The 3rd SCV would bolt to the current two valve stack you currently have giving you one more SCV with couplers at the back. You could run hoses from this all the way to the grapple cylinder. Disconnecting them when you want to use the SCV for the dump wagon.

JD also offers 3rd function hard lines for the loader.

I don't think JD offered rear mounted and mid mounted SCVs until the 5X25 series, they just remotely mounted the couplers with hoses or hard lines.

Yes, I have a single lever controlling the John Deere quick-detach loader. The couplers are mid mounted. The mounting bracket has an empty pair of holes. Also, at the rear, there are, if I recall correctly, two more brackets, one on each side, that would hold two couplers each. These brackets were provided, but they are unoccupied.

The wagon's cylinder has a single hose, as it is a single action cylinder. It is not clear to me how that would work with a two hose system.

/ Adding hydraulic outlets to model 5500 #7  
Yes, I have a single lever controlling the John Deere quick-detach loader. The couplers are mid mounted. The mounting bracket has an empty pair of holes. Also, at the rear, there are, if I recall correctly, two more brackets, one on each side, that would hold two couplers each. These brackets were provided, but they are unoccupied.

The wagon's cylinder has a single hose, as it is a single action cylinder. It is not clear to me how that would work with a two hose system.

The wagon cylinder with one hose will use pressure to raise and rely on gravity to lower. When you move the lever to "lower" the lift hose will be connected to "tank" and allow fluid to exit the cylinder. Depending on which coupler you connect to, lever can be made to raise the clyinder moving either direction. If it's backwards from what you want swap the hose to the other coupler.

/ Adding hydraulic outlets to model 5500 #8  
hi zebrafive do you still have lvb25310? if you do i would be interested please let me know. thank you dave

/ Adding hydraulic outlets to model 5500 #9  
hi zebrafive do you still have lvb25310? if you do i would be interested please let me know. thank you dave

Yes, answered your Private Message. Now I just sent you my email address, to your email address.

/ Adding hydraulic outlets to model 5500 #10  
HELP! i TOO HAVE A JD 5510 THE DEALER WANTS TO PUT MY 3RD FUNTION ONTHE SIDE OF MY DRAFT CONTROLL . NOT CONVENIENT FOR GRAPPLE OR SAW. QUESTION: IS PRESSURE OUT OF THE FACTORY SCV THE SAME AS POWER BEYOND? THAT SCV IS SET UP FOR FLUID RETURN AND EXESS FLD. RETURN . THE SOLENOID KIT ONLY HAS ONE RETURN. help please?