Low vis vs. Hygard

/ Low vis vs. Hygard #1  

ducks13

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4410, two JD 318's, 50" and 46" MMM, 48" KK BB
My 4410's manual says the recommend low vis but then they have a temperature chart that says ony use low vis to 80 degrees F. and that seemingly Hy-gard should be used for higher temps and it is suppose to be good down to 0 degrees F. My dealer (parts man) says they put low-vis in everything. I live in NC were it very rarely reaches 0 and if regulary exceed 80 degrees. Does any one know the pros and cons of the different fluids.

/ Low vis vs. Hygard #3  
HyGard is similarto (if not the same as) the old JD303; a 20W30 viscosity equivalent. Low Viscosity HyGard is a 10W20. Here in western Kentucky I'm plannin' to stick with the 10W20 stuff that was in the tractor when it was delivered.

//greg//

Last edited:
   / Low vis vs. Hygard #4  
HyGard is just the old JD303, it's a 20W30 viscosity equivalent. Low Viscosity HyGard is a 10W20. //greg//

JD Hy-Gard replaced 303 but I think it has more wear additives than 303. Also the chart I looked up stated it is 5W30 not 20W30. Here's a quote from JD's website
[: "Hy-Gard oil can be used in most applications calling for 10W-30 or 5W-30 engine oil for transmission and hydraulic oils. ]

/ Low vis vs. Hygard #5  
I was merely repeating the response I got when I asked the same question at the John Deere parts counter. So if HyGard is 5W30 as you claim, what does that make Low-Vis; 0W20? Any chance you can provide a link to that chart?

//greg//

/ Low vis vs. Hygard #6  
I live in Iowa and have a 4310. I use low vis for all my past and present tractors. I have used the 4310 from - 40 to 110. When this question was hashed over a while ago, someone said you could even mix the two for a "custom" level of protection. All the oil threads go on forever. Believe what you want on the internet.

/ Low vis vs. Hygard #7  
I was merely repeating the response I got when I asked the same question at the John Deere parts counter. So if HyGard is 5W30 as you claim, what does that make Low-Vis; 0W20? Any chance you can provide a link to that chart?

//greg//

Sorry as I computer illiterate at posting links. Go to JDparts.com,click on parts and scroll down on LH side of page to "lubricants"

/ Low vis vs. Hygard #8  
Sorry as I computer illiterate at posting links. Go to JDparts.com,click on parts and scroll down on LH side of page to "lubricants"
Yeah, I think you're confusing HyGard with something else. Here's the Lubricant Chart, there's no mention of HyGard viscosity at all. And if you follow the HyGard link, you'll see them describe Lo-Vis as AW32 and HyGard as somewhere between AW46 and AW64. That's more consistent with my description of Lo-Vis as a 10W20 and HyGard as a 20W30

Note also the temp graph that show both good to +122F in the summer. But come winter. HyGard is rated to about -13F, whereas Lo-Vis is rated down to -40F

//greg//

/ Low vis vs. Hygard #9  
Greg
After working for a JD dealer for over 20 yrs and then running JD equip another 20+ yrs I know what Hy-Gard is just looked at wrong spec's.Must have been caused by my Oldtimers disease. You were correct as it has a 20W rating

/ Low vis vs. Hygard
Greg.

Where is the temp graph that shows them both to be good to 122? This is the one in the 4410 manual.

Attachments

• temp chart.jpg
    temp chart.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 597