JD 4310, Front Axle Leak?

/ JD 4310, Front Axle Leak? #1  

JB4310

Tractor
J.D. 4310 E-hydro
Found a good size oily wet spot running down my right front wheel, enough to make a 5" dia stain on the floor.

I've heard of axle seal leaks here, but not sure what I'm up against.

Anyone able to direct me me where to start?

Thanks, JB.

/ JD 4310, Front Axle Leak? #2  
Search JD 4300, I think there are several posts that apply

/ JD 4310, Front Axle Leak? #3  
This what you're looking for? This is from the JD parts site - 4310 front diff. - Sorry but evidently you cannot copy/paste a link to a particular page on their website anymore. Maybe this is of some help.

Attachments

• MP39803________UN04JUN07.gif
    MP39803________UN04JUN07.gif
    25.6 KB · Views: 2,625
Last edited:
   / JD 4310, Front Axle Leak?
Search JD 4300, I think there are several posts that apply

I'll try it, but have never had luck searching on this site, partly because I rarely ever try.

This what you're looking for? This is from the JD parts site - 4310 front diff. - Sorry but evidently you cannot copy/paste a link to a particular page on their website anymore. Maybe this is of some help.

Thanks, that's the right schematic, but no part descriptions?
Also never had any luck on the JD parts site, looks like I need to learn.

I was hoping to here from someone who has had the same problem before.

JB.

/ JD 4310, Front Axle Leak? #5  
JB
Go to jdparts and register (it is free) and you can go to the model 4310 to see all the schematics with part numbers (for any JD tractor or item made, it appears).

Go to kennyd for a primer if you don't figure out how to do it, or ask here. Glad to help you get on board for a world of info on Deere. ;)

/ JD 4310, Front Axle Leak? #6  
Found a good size oily wet spot running down my right front wheel, enough to make a 5" dia stain on the floor.

Thanks, JB.

Same problem, here, KB. Picked up the parts yesterday from the local John Deere dealer -- two seals (both left and right sides), were Spicer brand, large seals (~$28 each), and you also need their "flange sealant" which is Permatex 515 ($15). Should be a fairly easy job *if* the bearings are not the tapered ones (I don't think that mine are). If I do it over the weekend, I'll let you know how it goes . . .

Richard Easley
Waco, Texas

/ JD 4310, Front Axle Leak? #7  

Thanks, JB.

When we had a 4400 I replaced the front axle seals a couple times. It was only about a 30-40min job IIRC, wasn't too bad. If you are mechanically inclined it's pretty self explanatory how to replace them, just tear it apart and you'll see how it works.

/ JD 4310, Front Axle Leak?
JB
Go to jdparts and register (it is free) and you can go to the model 4310 to see all the schematics with part numbers (for any JD tractor or item made, it appears).

Go to kennyd for a primer if you don't figure out how to do it, or ask here. Glad to help you get on board for a world of info on Deere. ;)

I know I registered once before and got lost in there somewhere in the thousands of models they have :( I've seen kenny's link to the tutorial, I'll have to check it out.

Same problem, here, KB. Picked up the parts yesterday from the local John Deere dealer -- two seals (both left and right sides), were Spicer brand, large seals (~$28 each), and you also need their "flange sealant" which is Permatex 515 ($15). Should be a fairly easy job *if* the bearings are not the tapered ones (I don't think that mine are). If I do it over the weekend, I'll let you know how it goes . . .

Richard Easley
Waco, Texas

Do you know what part the seal is in this blow up? 22 maybe? because mine dripped on the outside of the wheel I think it must be coming from the end somewhere? Let me know what you find, what model do you have?

thanks

When we had a 4400 I replaced the front axle seals a couple times. It was only about a 30-40min job IIRC, wasn't too bad. If you are mechanically inclined it's pretty self explanatory how to replace them, just tear it apart and you'll see how it works.

Thanks, I am at least mechanically inclined, so yeah I should be able to do the job, I would like to have the right parts when I start. The dealer is only 8-10 miles away, but not sure if they stock the parts.

JB.

/ JD 4310, Front Axle Leak? #9  
I know I registered once before and got lost in there somewhere in the thousands of models they have :( I've seen kenny's link to the tutorial, I'll have to check it out.

Just have to enter the model number (i.e. 4310) and select the CUT from the list to get access to your tractor. The 4310 beet harvestor also shows up :)

Do you know what part the seal is in this blow up? 22 maybe? because mine dripped on the outside of the wheel I think it must be coming from the end somewhere? Let me know what you find, ......?

The seal is 22 and the part number is LVA16814. AXLE OUTPUT W/INSTRUCTIONS, (SUB FOR LVU10836)

Hope this helps, my reply in bold letters.

Last edited:
   / JD 4310, Front Axle Leak? #10  
JB,
Part # 22 is listed as a "seal" on that drawing - it has a JD number of LVA16814. The only other part shown there is #33 - which is'nt where I would think your leak is. I attached a link below directly to the JD parts page - just enter 4310 in the model block (left upper portion of page) then scroll down and pick the 4310 tractor.

John Deere - Parts Catalog