Replacing Front Seals in John Deere MFWD Tractors With Two-Piece Seals

/ Replacing Front Seals in John Deere MFWD Tractors With Two-Piece Seals #11  
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a detailed, step by step and simple list. I have a 3720, and after 2 hrs of searching, I was finally able to take off my hub without destroying it with a gear puller,lol....

/ Replacing Front Seals in John Deere MFWD Tractors With Two-Piece Seals #12  
My front end leaks, but it is the seals at the top of the "knuckle". The part that turns when you crank the steering wheel. Bought a new seal then never got around to it. Took the tractor to the dealer for another problem, asked them to do the seal while they had it. Seems that they power washed everything, then decided that it wasn't leaking anymore so left it. Next time I got on a sidehill it started to leak again. That was 3000hrs ago.....Still only leaks when the tractor is on an angle....

/ Replacing Front Seals in John Deere MFWD Tractors With Two-Piece Seals #13  
Richard,

Thanks for the nice write-up. I have an 04 JD 4310 MFWD with 1,295 hours on it. I was ripping with one shank about 20" in the ground and after about five hours of pulling, I started noticing oil coming out around the hub onto the right front wheel. Along with replacing the seals, do you replace the bearings during this process?

Randy

/ Replacing Front Seals in John Deere MFWD Tractors With Two-Piece Seals #14  
Rangeo
:welcome: to TBN

I'd first just loosen the fill plug a bit so that it can vent, as I suspect you just built up some pressure from the heat and forced the oil out the seals.
That is what I did, and don't get any, or very little, leakage onto the front hub.
Some members have made a vent tube, but I just leave the plug/dip stick a bit loose.

/ Replacing Front Seals in John Deere MFWD Tractors With Two-Piece Seals #15  
Really appreciate all the info and experience with the leak problems on front wheels. The very reason I joined as I only have a leak in the spring when the weather warms here in MN. Thanks to Richard for the detailed info and replacing seals.

/ Replacing Front Seals in John Deere MFWD Tractors With Two-Piece Seals #16  
Maybe I will do this and add some photos, mine is leaking pretty good!

/ Replacing Front Seals in John Deere MFWD Tractors With Two-Piece Seals #17  
ok so how do I get pictures, I have mine torn all the way down. just want to know hidden steps I may need to do

/ Replacing Front Seals in John Deere MFWD Tractors With Two-Piece Seals #18  
After three more years mine started to leak again. This time from the final seal. Checked the book which told me to get the drive type from the stamping on the axle. No stamping....BUT they have two different shaped gear covers soooo I decided that I have the one with the lock nut and tapered bearings instead of the snap ring and ball bearings.
Jd price on the seal is $45 and it is not in stock in Canada. Canada Bearing sells the seal for $14 and I can get it in two days....
Tonight I pulled the assembly and found that I have a snap ring and what looks like roller bearings instead of ball.
Tomorrow I will go and find a press....then I will be able to measure the seal I have.
I also would like a simple way to post pictures...

/ Replacing Front Seals in John Deere MFWD Tractors With Two-Piece Seals #19  
If pics are on your computer, then just click on "go advanced" instead of "post quick reply". Scroll down and you will see "Manage attachments", so click that.

A window will pop open and you click "add" and then "browse" your computer for the pic you want to post. Then click "upload" and the pic will be attached to your post. Takes longer to write it than to do it. :D

/ Replacing Front Seals in John Deere MFWD Tractors With Two-Piece Seals #20  
I used a three finger puller and it worked great.

My seal was only a single piece.

Stubut