John Deere 5103 injector solenoid fuse blown

/ John Deere 5103 injector solenoid fuse blown #1  

Mahoneybee

Tractor
John Deere 5103
New to forum and really first problem with 5 y/o 5103. First failure to start in 5 years and suspected air or bad fuel. Changed fuel filter and bled lines and after no luck starting, checked fuses and found injector pump fuse blown. Replacement fuse also blew upon attempt to start. Does anyone have any ideas?

/ John Deere 5103 injector solenoid fuse blown #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ John Deere 5103 injector solenoid fuse blown #4  
Welcome to TBN!!! Hope you get your problem fixed.

/ John Deere 5103 injector solenoid fuse blown
Thanks JD5210 - I unplugged the connector leading from the injector pump solenoid to the thermostat, replaced the fuse and guess what-- It started right up. So, it is the thermostat or the cold start switch that is in the thermostat housing. I will going to JD for parts tomorrow. Thanks for the great help.

/ John Deere 5103 injector solenoid fuse blown #6  
Thanks JD5210 - I unplugged the connector leading from the injector pump solenoid to the thermostat, replaced the fuse and guess what-- It started right up. So, it is the thermostat or the cold start switch that is in the thermostat housing. I will going to JD for parts tomorrow. Thanks for the great help.

If you don't live in a cold climate, you don't even need this. I think they cost about $28 dollars or so.

/ John Deere 5103 injector solenoid fuse blown
So maybe the problem is the cold start switch and it would be safe to operate with this disconnected?

/ John Deere 5103 injector solenoid fuse blown #8  
I would go ahead replace the part. If the problem continues, then maybe not. Why make the engine and starter work harder then they have to.

Since you are/maybe going to JD for the part consider purchasing the summer fuel conditioner. The summer conditioner small bottle (ty26784) is under $10. It amazes me how easy my tractor starts up and no smoking.

Thanks you letting me know this fixed problem.

http://www.visaevolution.com/dati_sito/manuali/officina/motori/john deere/ctm125-3029-ENG.pdf

/ John Deere 5103 injector solenoid fuse blown #9  
same problem today saw this thread and it was my cold start switch ... thanks

/ John Deere 5103 injector solenoid fuse blown #10  
Can anyone tell me if the cold weather switch and thermostat come as one part or as separate parts? Also how hard was it to change out this switch?