Snow Can I Mount A Front Mount Snowblower Attachment With The BackHoe Still On My 2520

/ Can I Mount A Front Mount Snowblower Attachment With The BackHoe Still On My 2520 #1  

coollx

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520
A few days ago I took delivery of a new 2520 with a CX200 loader and a 46 backhoe.

I also have a JD front mount 47" two stage snowblower attachment that I plan to use for removing snow.

I'm wondering whether I can mount and operate the snowblower attachment with the backhoe hooked up?

Or do I need to remove the backhoe, install the 3 pt hitch and mount my ballast box?

Thank you.

/ Can I Mount A Front Mount Snowblower Attachment With The BackHoe Still On My 2520 #2  
Easy answer... try it!

My guess is that your backhoe will weigh more than enough to counter weight the snowblower without any exta ballast needed :thumbsup:

/ Can I Mount A Front Mount Snowblower Attachment With The BackHoe Still On My 2520 #3  
A few days ago I took delivery of a new 2520 with a CX200 loader and a 46 backhoe.

I also have a JD front mount 47" two stage snowblower attachment that I plan to use for removing snow.

I'm wondering whether I can mount and operate the snowblower attachment with the backhoe hooked up?

Or do I need to remove the backhoe, install the 3 pt hitch and mount my ballast box?

Thank you.

At a guess - no.
My guess is based on the assumption that the snowblower is powered from the rear PTO and that it's frame and rear to front PTO shaft run under the tractor.
Even if it is powered by a mid or front PTO I suspect that the hoe and blow sub frames would mutually interfere.

BTW, I know you asked whether or not you "could", but I am left wondering if/why you would even WANT to.
When I clear snow I don't hoe.
I put a rear blade on for final scraping and clean up, I can't see a hoe as being anywhere near as useful as a rear blade when clearing snow.

Unless you get very little and light snow - and just want to avoid mounting/dis-mounting the hoe several times a year.
In which case I wouldn't bother having the front blower (-:

/ Can I Mount A Front Mount Snowblower Attachment With The BackHoe Still On My 2520 #4  
At a guess - no.
My guess is based on the assumption that the snowblower is powered from the rear PTO and that it's frame and rear to front PTO shaft run under the tractor.
Even if it is powered by a mid or front PTO I suspect that the hoe and blow sub frames would mutually interfere.

Good point Reg - I must admit that I assumed the snowblower mounted either onto a front plate using a front PTO (in which case the FEL could be lifted out of the way) or onto the FEL itself with hydraulic drive...

My appologies of I gave a mis-informed answer (we don't get a lot of snow here!) :cool:

/ Can I Mount A Front Mount Snowblower Attachment With The BackHoe Still On My 2520
I have the snowblower attachment because it was mounted on my JD 4100 that I traded in on the 2520. I used to clear snow with my loader on the 4100 until I found a like new used JD snowblower attachment. Btw, the snowblower clears snow much faster than using a loader so if I can use it on my 2520 I'm going to.

Since I live in Upstate NY where we got 175"-180" this winter, clearing snow efficiently is a priority for me.

I'm still waiting for the driveshaft I ordered to drive the snowblower with my 2520. But I agree by just eyeballing the relative location of the backhoe frame, the backhoe will need to come off. Part of the reason for asking the question involves mounting/dismounting the hoe and the 3pt hitch. Although I haven't tried dismounting the hoe yet, I remember with my JD855 putting the hoe on and off was a bit of a pain and the #46 and subframe is very similar. If I find that's it too much of a hassle to mount/dismount the hoe a few times each year, I may just sell the snowblower attachment and use the loader for clearing snow.

I just wanted to see if someone had a definitive answer.

Thanks for your input.